What is the hand icon in my short answer questions?

What is the hand icon in my short answer questions?

de Ann Paterson -
Número de respuestas: 3

My short answer questions sometimes contain a hand icon.  I'm not sure what causes it.  When I hold the cursor over it, it shows no.  Can anyone explain what causes this to happen?

Best wishes,
Ann

Promedio de valoraciones: -
En respuesta a Ann Paterson

Re: What is the hand icon in my short answer questions?

de Chris Potter -
From what I understand, it probably looks like this: No

If so, it is because if you put an "n" in parenthesis, Moodle interprets it as a "no" (just like the smiley functions). This was a bit of an annoyance for instances where you would need to say "a/an" with the n in (). Is this true? If so, I had to comment a line out in a file in version 1.8. It looks like 1.9+ has an option in the administration interface to do this under Admin > Apperance > Htmleditor > Emoticons

You can find that information below for 1.8 (use caution whenever editing source files, as it can break things if something is mistyped. Use notepad or another "plain text editor" of choice (I use PSPad, but there are tons of apps out there that do this).

File:
moodle\lib\weblib.php

Line:
1847 (This is approximate... your installation may vary)

Text to look for:
'( n )' => 'no',

(Note: spaces were added between the n and parenthesis to avoid auto-filter content). sonrisa

You should see an array (looks like a list) with all the different smiley types and a few miscellaneous ones. Add // in front of the line you wish to remove, and it will comment that line out (rather than deleting it). Again, beware that if you do it incorrectly, you could break things (though you can "undo" it if you do). This will also have to be changed every time you upgrade. I don't believe there is a way to disallow just one filter (at this time anyway) from the web interface.

Hope this helps! I know it did for us!! Please let us know if you were successful. sonrisa
En respuesta a Chris Potter

de Ann Paterson -

Thanks very much for helping.  That is exactly what it looks like, but there is no "n" in parentheses that I can see in any of the problem questions.  That's odd...  I will go back and see if I can see anything that might be similar that could cause the problem.

Best wishes,
Ann

En respuesta a Chris Potter

de Ann Paterson -

Chris,
I went back to check and you are exactly right - I was able to find No in all of the questions after all (it was just not visible because of the hand icon instead).  Thanks for clearing up this mystery and providing the fix!

Best wishes,
Ann