Problems with adding a text file as a resource

Problems with adding a text file as a resource

by Chrissy Trenholme -
Number of replies: 4

Hi,

Using the 'link to a file or a webpage' option to access a text file has thrown up a problem. 

When the link is opened all the £ signs in the text file have been converted to ?.  The only way the students can see the info with £ signs is to open the resource and then go to View - Source, or to save the file and use the Replace option in Notepad.

Why is this happening and is there a way to upload a text file where the £'s stay as £'s?

Thanks  Chrissy

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Chrissy Trenholme

Re: Problems with adding a text file as a resource

by Sharon Goodson -

I know this doesn't answer the question of 'why' it's doing that (which is always a HUGE stumbling block for me - can we say 'OCD?' *lol*), but a quick work around would be to simply create a text or web page resource and copy/paste the text there.

Hope that helps!

In reply to Sharon Goodson

by Robin Skelcey -
It'll be an encoding problem, whereby the browser isn't properly told how to display non-alphanumeric characters like "£". As a temporary workaround, you could try fiddling with your browser's "Encoding" sub-menu (in the View menu). (Called "Character Encoding" in Firefox but does the same thing.)
Are you displaying the text file in a pop-up window? What happens when you visit the same URL outside of Moodle? (If its an external text page in a pop-up window, it should look exactly the same when launched outside of Moodle, and its not really a Moodle issue, but more to do with how the text file is written.)
In reply to Robin Skelcey

by Chrissy Trenholme -

Robin, a hyperlink from the topic area of the course was made to the text file that has been upload into the course. Pop up windows don't seem to make a difference to the £ not displaying.   I can change the 'Encoding' sub-menu, but suspect not all students will go down that route.

I think the best solution is to copy and paste the information into the 'compose a text page' resource which works and probably should have been used in the first place!.

Many thanks

In reply to Sharon Goodson

by Chrissy Trenholme -

Sharon, Many thanks - good idea about the text work around, I will use it.