Same thing happened on v's 1.3.3 and 1.3.4 (php 4.3.8) and with various different csv files I created (although they all originated as an excel spreadsheet worked on in open office).
I'm sure this isn't what's supposed to happen. (Perhaps this should be in bugs, so apologies if I've put this in the wrong place.)
Please see further issues in http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=10434.
Sorry to be a pest....
There is no error message. But the system just stops (after installing the 27 users into the db), waiting long enough (5-10 mins) I get a no-response message. I'm running the test site on apache on an xp machine.
When it gets to the very last user it fed back the expected message. Weird huh?
PS did you also get a chance to see the linked message re using the script to assign groups?
It would help to clarify some issues. First of all, how do you recover from the crash? Do you have to restart the web server? Or can you open another browser window and start another Moodle session? If it is the latter, it could be some browser issue, rather than a Moodle issue and you might try using a different browser, e.g. Mozilla Firefox.
Howard's suggestion to look at the web server logs is a good one. Another possibility is that there is some problem with the database server. See if changing the line in config.php
$CFG->dbpersist = false;
$CFG->dbpersist = true;
(or vice-versa) has any effect.
thanks for getting stuck in....
I am attaching:
- error log for one occurance
- extract from csv file (passwords removed intentionally)
- my copy of uploaduser.php from moodle/admin (just in case) in the middle of all this I upgraded 1.3.3 to 1.3.4 to see if that helped!
I have finished loading these users but will create a test to see if your config.php change makes a difference.
The crash only demands a browser restart, and have experienced identical result in both ie6 and moz firefox 0.9.2.
I am going to start a new post re enrolling students into groups and needing a script to help do that, with many questions I have concerning this. It's just that while this script is crashing now I don't feel as though I can really progress to next stage. I knew I should have taught myself php before launching into setting this up ;) I was just over keen to get going.
It looks like you have the debugging flag set to "ON" in the Administration Variables page. If you turn it off, this problem should disappear.
Another place to check is your php.ini or php.conf file. If there is a line
error_reporting = E_ALLcomment it out by putting a semicolon in front:
;error_reporting = E_ALL
or replace it by
error_reporting = E_ALL & ~E_NOTICE
Anyway, thanks so much for that, the script is now running beautifully. Moreover it means that I now have only one more year of kids to enroll with their courses tomorrow - phew!