Grader report questions

Grader report questions

by Vicki Dunnam -
Number of replies: 4

I have been trying to sort through lots of forum information about the gradebook and thought you might could help.

1. What code do I need to edit to make the assignments/quiz names in the gradebook show "vertically" instead of horizontally. It would make the gradebook not as wide and easier to view.  Even wrapping would work too.

2. Can you "freeze" the students names column so when you scroll to the right, you do not lose the column with the students names listed?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! smile 

In reply to Vicki Dunnam

Re: Grader report questions

by Nicolas Connault -
It would take a fair bit of work to change the current code to exchange columns with rows. If enough people request this feature, we may consider it in a later version, but it probably won't be back-ported to 1.9. However, there are several usability concerns which may prevent this option ever from being implemented.

You cannot "freeze" columns as in Excel. This is quite difficult to do in HTML, in fact you would need a fair bit of Javascript to make this work. There may be other solutions though.
In reply to Nicolas Connault

by Steve Garcia -
Vicki probably didn't mean exchanging rows and columns, but rather changing the labels on the columns to either be vertical or to wrap tightly enough to not make the column so wide. That can be really annoying -- the title of an assignment is 30 characters wide but the associated grade is two characters. Lots of white space and you have to scroll for miles to get the the last grades of the term.

You might be able to use frames to handle a frozen column. I've always hated frames, but if you put the student's names on the left frame and the scores on the right you might get the right effect.
In reply to Steve Garcia

by Mike Worth -
This vertiacl header business is something that I would like too. I tried php generated images for the vertical headers but couldn't get it to look any cleaner than the original super-wide one.

Surely someone has done something about this before?

Mike
In reply to Mike Worth

by Frederic Nevers -
Hi guys,

I know this is an Internet Explorer only fox but this was very important for me so I actually switched to IE...

I posted this http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=107153 a couple of months ago. You might want to use it.

I've tried to use PHP GD library to create pictures that I then could rotate (compatible with every browser) but couldn't get it to work.

Hope it helps.

Cheers,
Fred