What are the weakness points of moodle?

What are the weakness points of moodle?

by Phương Phùng Thị Ngọc -
Number of replies: 8
Our faculty of university has its own moodle. I have to write research about my moodle. It's difficult for me to try to find some weakness point of it. Somebody helps me!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Phương Phùng Thị Ngọc

Re: What are the weakness points of moodle?

by Don Hinkelman -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Phuong,

That is a very interesting question. Actually, that is a good question for another part of this moodle.org site (comparisons and advocacy) but I will try to give my thoughts here.

I love Moodle, but it is good to admit weaknesses as it will make the program and the movement stronger. Here are some that come to mind. Some are not a problem with Moodle but of education or all LMSs as a whole:
  • Social networking: capacity for forming learner groups and friendship groups informally. Most learning happens informally.
  • Exchange of content: It is difficult to share activities and content between teachers.
  • Ease of use: some parts of Moodle are very easy to use and some are very hard to use.
  • Viewing, sharing, commenting on student projects: not so easy. It is easier to do forum discussions or quizzes.
  • Face-to-face learning: the physical classroom and its tasks need more integration with an LMS.
What do you think are the weaknesses?

In reply to Don Hinkelman

by web dzinez -
I am very new to moodle, but my thoughts on weakness:

- Configuring the site initially is a lot harder than I thought, the menus are all over the place

- Another thing is the security/role structure. Its very robust but for a newbie it can be too much to handle. For example the role structure goes down to an activity inside a course.

- The quiz module doesnt have an option to disable "going back and changing answers" I think thats a huge disadvantage as most standardized prep tests dont allow that anymore

Still new to this so thats all I have at present.
In reply to web dzinez

by Matt Gibson -
Can they do that? Sounds like you have it set to the defaults, which as I remember have something turned on, possible 'adaptive mode', or 'resubmitting', which might allow this. Ask in the quiz forum and I'm sure someone can tell you how to turn that off. I've never found that my students can change their answers.
In reply to Don Hinkelman

by Phương Phùng Thị Ngọc -
Thank your helpfulness. Moodle is so interesting and powerful software platform for e-learning. I think that with large and strong moodle community-ppl who are friendly and helpful like all of you-we can make moodle perfect
Thanks million times
In reply to Phương Phùng Thị Ngọc

by Eoin Campbell -
I am also doing some research on the usability of Moodle (and other LMSs). My feeling is that it is quite difficult for Teacher/Content Creator roles to add content in HTML format,
and therefore a lot of material is uploaded
as Word, PDF or other format files.

I would love to find any research (especially
peer-reviewed) on the usability of Moodle
for teachers, if anyone knows of it.

In reply to Eoin Campbell

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi Eoin,

my experience is that teachers don't have html files for use in the courses. Mostly they have documents from their office programm.

If they have a single html page, they can add them in the same way like a PDF or Word file.
If they have a set of html files they can zip them, unzip them in a course folder and link to the star page (mostly index.html).

I'm training lots of teachers in using Moodle. Most of them say its very easy to work with Moodle caused of processes that are similar to their normal work in classes.
German teachers are not very familar with ICT, but they can work with Moodle. There are a lot of critics about usability within Moodle from me, but no morethan in the latest MS Office. Did one of your teachers ever try to open a file in new Word or Powerpoint?