give specific users the ability to view hidden categories?

give specific users the ability to view hidden categories?

by Frank B -
Number of replies: 8
how do I give specific users the ability to view hidden categories?

Here is the scenario:

I need to have teachers that are in the course development process to develop their course in a hidden category.

If I don't make it hidden students wander in and enroll in courses that aren't ready yet.

Problem: I don't assign global system roles. So I can't give teachers the right to view hidden categories with making system-wide teachers.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Frank B

Re: give specific users the ability to view hidden categories?

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Do you have permissions to assign them a role in the hidden category? And does that work?
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Frank B -
Yes but again it makes it "category-wide" which means they are "course creators" for every course in that category.

So it's a trade off, and it's not perfect. If I don't give them the "course creator" role in that category, they will never see the category; nor will they be able to create and develop their course. But if I do, they have the rights to alter everyone else's courses, not just their own.

So, I guess that it'll just have to be that way. I can't see any other way of doing it. I mean they are all teachers. I can't imagine one of them going in and erasing items in another teacher's course.
In reply to Frank B

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Well, if you want a safer option, you could create a special 'View hiden categories' role, that just allows the one capability, and use that instead of the Course creator role.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Frank B -
Tried that already. I got an error about it not being available. It was really weird. that even if you gave them the ability to see the category, that access was not implied.

The only assignment to that category that not only allowed them to see the category but enter it was course creator.. teacher/non-editing teacher would give an error if only give the "see hidden categories" ability with their teacher role. That was my original plan of action before i got those errors.
In reply to Frank B

by Tim Hunt -
This looks like one of the many bugs to do with permissions at category level that are on my todo list, but which I probably won't get around to for a few weeks. Specifically it looks like MDL-16013. So, yes, it is not working as it should right now. Sorry about that.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Frank B -
WooHoo!! I found a bug.

Maybe we should start a drinking game. Every time we find a bug we have to down a shot of tequila or a beer. How's that for turning a negative into a positive. big grin

Back to reality:
well, I hope it gets fixed soon, I'm not in much of a hurry for it anyways, I think they(my teachers) can make do with what they have.

In reply to Frank B

by Tim Hunt -
An interesting idea. I am not sure it would lead to the number of bugs in Moodle decreasing over time though wink But don't let me stop you having a drink. The beverage of choice at Moodle Moots seems to be the Mojito.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Frank B -
Ahh!! The mojito is my specialty. It's the cuban national drink. Even if I am in Mexico, I make it; and all my Mexican friends think it's cool. So what is a cuban-american doing in Mexico? I married a Mexican woman.

Back to the issue at hand: Oh well.. I'm gonna wait around for fix, but meanwhile I will try to create the admin reports I need, if only for moment; until a core fix arrives.

B.T.W if you want my mojito recipe let me know. It's basically a lemonade(using soda water) with rum and crushed mint leaves. Make sure you use Bacardi rum.