pdf Exam papers for revision, How Do I Mark Them?

pdf Exam papers for revision, How Do I Mark Them?

by Mark Guy -
Number of replies: 12

Published: 13 November 2008

I want to put Multiple choice exam papers (Available from Exam board for student use) into a Moodle Site, No problem easy EXCEPT I would like moodle to mark the paper for the pupil without spending HOURS cutting an pasteing.

IDEA. HOW do I open a pdf file INSIDE a multiple choice marking frame that accepts different question numbers (so I can customise for different exam boards), and just knows the answers, and on request marks the answers ? then puts this score into the GRADE BOOK.

SO  I want a pdf reader that takes up most of a screen for readability with a multiple choice answer marker to one side.

This allows ANY multiple choice exam paper to be incorporated into moodle

The setup for the teacher is quick and easy, paste or type in a set of answers.

Currently thinking of using hot potatoes, if I can get my head around how to do it......ANY HELP?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mark Guy

Re: pdf Exam papers for revision, How Do I Mark Them?

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

If you don't want to copy and paste, you would need to write a computer program or script to open the pdf file, look at the questions and generate a file that can be imported into another application or LMS.

I don't know that any such program exists for the PDF files you want to work with, so you would probably have to write it yourself or ask your nearest friendly programmer smile

I suggest you ask the programmer to produce an output file in a format such as the GIFT format which can be read into Moodle's standard Quiz module.

good luck!
Gordon

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Gordon Bateson

This forum post has been removed

The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
In reply to Deleted user

by Marc Grober -
Actually, if you use the URL of the pdf jquiz can open a window with the embedded pdf or call a helper app to open the pdf.... I've just tested that and it works fine.

by Mark Guy -

Gordon, If I butcher an exam boards exam paper, would there not be copy write issues, where as displaying a file freely available to be desplayed elseware should not ?

I am out of my depth, with the details, I am just looking for a simple easy to use solution that is universally usable by your average Teacher. Requires no programming skills IN USE.

In reply to Mark Guy

by Marc Grober -
Mark,

If you are concerned about simply cobbling up pieces of a test I'd think you'd probably be OK as long as you gave credit, but you might want to look at the specific copyright claims of the publisher as your use may in fact be specifically authorized.

I am still not quite clear on what you are trying to accomplish, but what about using the feature that allows you to insert a link or a picture. The link will pop open a new window while the picture will embed a jpeg, gif, or png and it is easy enough to convert from pdf to any of those.

You could put the entire pdf as a link from the title or chunk it up and add links or images for each question. All you'd have to do is go through the jquiz and select which is the correct answer.

You can also do Add Reading Text and convert the pdf to html and import the html.
In reply to Mark Guy

by Marc Grober -
And BTW, with the pdf extensions to OOo you can import the pdf into Presentaton, convert to flash, and embed the flash in hotpot.
In reply to Marc Grober

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Here's an relevant article on some ways to embed PDF documents in an HTML page using the 3rd party websites Scrbd and Adobe Share:

Here's a technique which produces a nice little scrollable window within the web-page:

If you Google for "embed pdf in html page", you'll see other variations on these techniques

Gordon

This forum post has been removed

The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
In reply to Mark Guy

by Marc Grober -
well, let's see...

You can provide the multiple choices via pdf using the form feature, and you can mark-up pdf using some tools like pdf annotator, nitro pdf, proof it online, skim, etc. (not to mention the full acrobat), but I don;t think that is what you want....

And you can you could use pdfs as the source text for a quiz, but whats the point as you could easily put the text in the quiz, but I think this is really what you are asking about.... no? providing the test questions via pdf, with the test answers done via quiz.... easy enough. So I don;t see what the issue is unless you are asking about simply tying the screen frames down..... ???
In reply to Mark Guy

by Marc Grober -
So Mark,
Did any of this help, or are we off the mark (sorry, couldn't help the pun)

Marc
In reply to Marc Grober

by Mark Guy -

Marc, plenty of food for thought.

I will try a few of the idea's out when I get a few hours (Probually Christmas Hols) thanks everyone for your suggestions

In reply to Mark Guy

by Mark Guy -

solution to my own problem, turs out to be very easy.

1) Use html table in a jclose

2)left hand cell use for question numbers and answers

3) right cell EMBED the pdf file.

4) Adjust widths + hights to fit questions

Sample enclosed without the pdf (its to big)