Problem with creating a table in Wiki 1.9 version

Problem with creating a table in Wiki 1.9 version

by Vicky Drnek -
Number of replies: 5
I have an instructor that is creating a table for his wiki assignment and the students are not being able to see the table when they open up the assignment. In the Summary box, he clicks on the "insert table" icon and setups the table.
When a student opens up the activity, all that is visible are the instructions-where is the table?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Vicky Drnek

Re: Problem with creating a table in Wiki 1.9 version

by Marc Grober -
I cannot replicate this at all.

Perhaps you could have them create a new wiki and provide some snaps, step by step, or if you wish you could provide me access and I can look at it.... I initially thought this was because the teacher was a newbe and was putting the table in a student wiki after the wiki was created, which would of course only be seen by the teacher..... but that is not what you are describing....
In reply to Marc Grober

by Vicky Drnek -
For some reason my fastcapture screen shot is not letting me paste the shot here, so I will tell you that in the settings the type is "student". IF this is wrong, where can that be changed? I've only been working with Moodle about 4 weeks so everything is very different. Thank you.
In reply to Vicky Drnek

by Marc Grober -
It looks like you are the IT Trainer/HelpDesk person in an IT staff of 5. Are you also the admin for your Moodle or would that be Eric Hall? I find that talking through intermediaries is problematic as I rarely get the whole story.... If you are the Moodle Admin and have yourself replicated the issue that is fine, otherwise I suggest you have the user follow my suggestions, to wit:
create a new wiki from scratch and take a screenshot at every setting, saving the screen shots as png files, then zip up the files and attach to a post to the forum..... You'll notice that there is an image icon in the editor toolbar in this forumto embed images, but if there are multiple images it is best to avoid the impact to the forum and attach a zip.....

There is nothing wrong with setting a wiki to "student", but once you do that you create individual wikis, and if you as teacher try to edit the wiki, you are not editing the student wiki, but your own..... But, since you said that IS NOT what the instructor did (you said the instructor edited the summary, not the actual wiki) that is not an issue.

The other alternative would be to have your Moodle admin give someone access to your Moodle to look at what the situation is. I'd be happy to do that for you as would, I am sure, others......

I did note that you are at 1.9.2 and while I am not an advocate of beating oneself to have the latest release, it might not hurt to upgrade.
In reply to Marc Grober

by Vicky Drnek -
Marc
Thank you for your help-I was able to replicate our teacher's problem but I found a way to make it work for him. Once the assignment is created, he clicks on the assignment from the home page and EDITS the wiki in the bottom half of the page and this is where he puts his table and now the students can click" view and then edit" and it works. Grant Carmichael is our Moodle Adm.-not Eric-and I joined the team mid-August of this year as a trainer/helpdesk.
I'm learning a lot of information in a very short,quick time and these forums are very useful. Thanks again.
In reply to Vicky Drnek

by Marc Grober -
I think you are mistaken, at least your description of your solution does not square with your recitation of the problem.

If the instructor is indeed creating student wikis, then after he has created it he will see a listing of every student when he opens the wiki. If he edits the wiki in this view he changes only the instructors version of the wiki, not the students. On the other side of the coin, the student does not see the material the teacher added to the wiki unless the teacher edits that specific student's wiki. As far as I know there is no way for a teacher to make universal changes to all the wikis, which is one reason it is handy to learn how to set up multipage student wikis.