emergency - hot pot quiz results not in gradebook

emergency - hot pot quiz results not in gradebook

by rupert mackenzie -
Number of replies: 7

in fact - they dont seem to be anywhere. i can't work out what i have done wrong and cant find any documentation anywhere about hot pot and the gradebook

i have students waiting since i have toled them not to continue until we have sorted it - would really appreciate any help you might have.

cheers

rupert

Average of ratings: -
In reply to rupert mackenzie

Re: emergency - hot pot quiz results not in gradebook

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Rupert,
the HotPot do not appear in the grade book if the maximum grade for the HotPot (on Moodle's "adding/editing a Hot Potatoes Quiz" page) is zero.

If the maximum grade is greater than zero the HotPot should be in the gradebook, but on some early versions of Moodle 1.9 there were no HotPots in the gradebook.

What version of Moodle are you using?
Gordon

In reply to Gordon Bateson

by rupert mackenzie -
Thanks for getting back. the grades are all above 0, the version is 1.9.14.1

I have another course which has all the activities as hot pot and not a single one them is showing in the gradebook either.

Thanks

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

> the version is 1.9.14.1

That doesn't seem quite right because the most recent stable version of Moodle is 1.9.3 ... hmm ...

Please have a look on the "Manage activities" page (Site Administration -> Modules -> Acitivities), and find out what version of the HotPot module you have. If it is anything less than "2007101511" then you need to update to a more recent version of Moodle (or at least the HotPot module) in order to generate items in the gradebook for your HotPots

Gordon

by rupert mackenzie -
hotpot is this version 2007101511.

i know it will be something obvious i have done wrong!

by rupert mackenzie -
the activities are 'mashed' unmashed ones show in the gradebook.

can i get mashed files to show in the gradebook?

by Gordon Bateson -

> the activities are 'mashed' unmashed ones show in the gradebook

Aha - I think this is the crucial bit of information. I had understood that no HotPots at all were in the gradebook, but I see now that HotPots containing actual quizzes (JCloze, JCross, JMatch, JMix, JQuiz) are in the gradebook, and HotPots containing masher files are not in the gradebook.

That is normal. The HotPot module does not know what to do with Masher files and ignores them, or rather it treats them as ordinary html files.

> can i get mashed files to show in the gradebook?

No. Basically a masher file is just a list of links to the quizzes. From the HotPot modules point of view, it is like a static html page and it is not possible to calculate a "score" or "grade" to give students just for looking at it.

Another way to think about it is that the list of HotPots on the Moodle course page replaces the list of links on the Masher page. In this respect, Moodle replaces the Masher.

Gordon

by rupert mackenzie -
Just finished!! Got it all sorted after reading your post about masher files somewhere else on this forum.
i uploaded the mashed htm files ( but not the index) then hid all the activities except the first one. All the activities now appear in the gradebook and only one activity shows still.

Thanks for all your help - really impressed with your getting back so speedily.

Moodle is great - once you get it to work.

Rupert