An Investigation of Try Science Studied Online and Face-to-Face

An Investigation of Try Science Studied Online and Face-to-Face

by Gunther Dippe -
Number of replies: 2
The whole report is downloadable as a pdf and I found it well worth reading.
Cheers
----
'In "An Investigation of Try Science Studied Online and Face-to-Face," TERC studied two groups of participants in a graduate course working with the same course content. All participants showed an improved understanding of science content, with a significantly greater change for the online group. The change in the online group’s confidence levels in their science teaching from pre- to post-test was also greater. In addition, the findings showed a higher level of reflection on learning and inquiry for online participants when compared to the on-campus group.'

http://www.terc.edu/TEMPLATE/news/news.cfm?NewsID=58
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gunther Dippe

Re: An Investigation of Try Science Studied Online and Face-to-Face

by Bob Calder -
The amount of writing for the online course was astounding. Also I never found the application used for the distance learning website. The things I find useful about moodle are the email utility and the multiple choice testing. Who knows how these people used their time?
BTW, does moodle have a way of tracking attendance rather than total time spent? I noticed that TERC had problems distinguishing postings. Maybe they don't date stamp their records like normal dB designers. (TGFM - thank God for Martin)
These people are profit center oriented as demonstrated by their relationship with RiverDeep however and I really believe that curriculum developed by using the Dept of Education guidelines rather than AAAS is a poor decision. Being an AAAS member does color my perceptions though. *disclaimer*
Unfortunately I quit reading about mid way through the tables.
In reply to Bob Calder

Re: An Investigation of Try Science Studied Online and Face-to-Face

by Gunther Dippe -
Some of your remarks seem to be "internal USA educational affairs" wink

From my point of view it was interesting to find research which actually is able to point out some strengths of on-line education. Care was also taken to make the courses as similar as possible.

Too many people in this field rely on their emotional feeling that it has to be better which at least to me is quite disturbing.