Is it theoretically possible to merge gradebook results with a school database?

Is it theoretically possible to merge gradebook results with a school database?

by Steve van Ommen -
Number of replies: 2
We are using FilemakerPro as our school database. This is where teachers compile their term reports. If our Moodle gradebooks could be merged with this it would be terrific.
I wonder too, whether there are any institutions out there that are using Moodle as their sole means of reporting to parents. When you really look at it, the Moodle gradebook would provide a much more comprehensive window into student achievement than the average term report. Yes, I'm sure there is a need for a summative comment, but this could reside within the gradebook too.
In reply to Steve van Ommen

Re: Is it theoretically possible to merge gradebook results with a school database?

by Matt Campbell -
Take a look at MDL-13933. You could do it manually with Moodle 1.9.x through the use of idnumbers, and either manually exporting from Moodle and importing the data into your database (XML, CSV, etc.), or you could write an update query of some sort that would move the data between the two, but without a good reliable method of aligning anything that exists in both, it woud be difficult (we've got about 700 active courses, and I don't know how many 'Chapter n Quiz' instances!).

I don't know a whole lot about FilemakerPro, but I do see that it is able to import Excel spreadsheets. It's possible that you could extract grades from Moodle by course and then import them into your database.

Thanks,
Matt
In reply to Matt Campbell

Re: Is it theoretically possible to merge gradebook results with a school database?

by Steve van Ommen -
Thanks Matt. Sorry I didn't reply earlier ( I was a newbie then). Thanks for your very informative reply!