Video+PowerPoint

Video+PowerPoint

by Riccardo Bigi -
Number of replies: 19
Hi everybody,
I am looking for a module to install on Moodle.
I need something to publish a PowerPoint based video lesson.
Teachers should be able to discuss their PowerPoint slide, recording their face and voice by a webcam. I mean that it is necessary a Video & PowerPoint sync component.

Does anyone know if sth exists? (paid or free)

Thanks a lot,

Riki
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Riccardo Bigi

Re: Video+PowerPoint

by David Sturrock -
Not a Moodle module, but http://www.zentation.com/ provides video and ppt synchronisation for free.
In reply to David Sturrock

by Riccardo Bigi -
Zentation is really cool, but it seems that I have to publish, before, videos on GoogleVideo.
For copyright problems, related to educational contents, in Italy, I can't publish on it.
I need sth that could give me the same tools of Zentation, on a private system.

Copyright laws are terrible in Italy, about education!

I'd like too much this system and iTunes U by Apple too, but I cannot publish academic videolessons or files on open website.

Thank you very much David!

Riki

by David Sturrock -
Hi Riki
Another couple of options to explore:
  1. Use voicethread with comments locked off (or even allowed smile). It can handle ppt and teacher can have static image + audio against each slide. Also allows annotations/sketching on ppt to emphasise points. http://voicethread.com/help/faq/. Voicethreads can be set to allow only set groups access. They have low cost paid option plus custom LMS integrations. Sample uses of voicethread in education - http://voicethread4education.wikispaces.com/.
  2. Free or low cost screencasting options - straight software for recording or combinations of web apps and sharing services. http://delicious.com/tag/freescreencasting
Cheers
D

Ynt: Video+PowerPoint

by Kemal Can -
no module that you described... but you can try camtasia studio... you can add your video to your slide.. and you can publish with scorm...

by Carmen L Hernandez -

Hi... I actually use Camtasia, a software from Tech Smith, which allow me to do exactly what you want. It is a very friendly power point video producer program, which options for different rendering formats. The vendor has a lot of video tutorials and after finishing your task, you can upload the video zipped files to the Files section in Moodle, unzip there and then you can create , thru the adding resources menu in the course page, a link to the specific html file that will appear inside the unzipped file folder in Moodle. After that you can delete the original zip file if you want.

Now you will have a link to the video in the course page, that when it is hit  the media player window opens. It functions flawless. The program also has a lot of other uses and is available for a trial period. You should try it.

Good luck,

Carmen

In reply to Carmen L Hernandez

by Riccardo Bigi -
Hello Carmen and Kemal!
Camtasia is really cool!
There are only 2 problems.
We've got 10s of teachers that should use this software from everywhere.
It sounds like buying 10s of licenses and I think it could be better the same system, but online.
The other huge limitation is software. It's only for Windows and not for Mac OS X! Not good.

The best thing could be a mix between Camtasia software and Zentation website!

Thank you very much for suggestions and, if you know more, please, let me know!

Have a nice day!

Riki (Italy)

by A. T. Wyatt -
I like camtasia a lot too, but you are right that it gets expensive for very many faculty. We have been testing ispring.

atw
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Lance Hinds -
Adobe Acrobat Vers 9 Extended comes with a nice tool called Adobe Presenter. It also install as an extension to Powerpoint.

Lance Hinds
BrainStreet Technologies

by Virgil Blake -
I use a platform called Arctic fox, it allows you to upload large videos and sync a slide presentation with it easily. It's easily the cheapest easiest and most straight forward solution out there. You do it all online and upload the content, input your slide times and end up with your own url to send out or embedd. Its also the only platform i know about that uses HTML5 so you can watch it on ipads and iphones

Example; http://ie.arcticfoxtv.com/146/managing-inventory-out-through-intense-focus-on-forecast-bias-reduction-

Contact Arctic Fox for more info; rb@arcticfoxtv.com

by Vicki Dunnam -

There is a program called ISpring Presenter that will allow you to have video and powerpoint and then it converts to flash movie.  Pretty slick.  The one thing I like is that you can provide questions to the students during the powerpoint or at the end of the lecture.  this gives the student engaging into the lesson instead of passive.  the quiz questions taken can then be loaded as a SCORM into Moodle as put in the gradebook. 

Right now we do the audio narration for PowerPoint but I like the video portion of ISpring Presenter.  www.ispring.com

In reply to Vicki Dunnam

by Kent Villard -
I visited that link but it gave an error - it seems the page is here now: http://www.ispringsolutions.com/

In reply to Vicki Dunnam

by Claire Fu -

The course maker tool what I use is wondershare rapid e-learning suite, it's a rapid authoring tool includes powerpoint to flash converter, quiz maker, demo maker and video editor tool. It supports moodle with SCORM standard.

Hope it helps.

Claire

by Jagdeep Singh Pannu -
Dear Ricardo,

Here's a presentation from Shawn Brandt also featured on http://imoodle.ning.com
Is this what you are looking for?

See Presentation - Embed Ppt with Narration in Moodle

Best,
Jagdeep Singh Pannu
@iMoodle
@WiZiQ

In reply to Jagdeep Singh Pannu

by Mark Davis -

The best solution I have found for this is AutoView.  It is completely integrated with Moodle, you just create an activity.  If you provide your own local videos as content, it is free.  I just use the "save as" feature in PowerPoint and save all of my slides as JPEGs.  I then use Irfanview to rename and resize the slides in batch mode to the proper name and size to be used by AutoView.  It's a slick module and can work with HTML 5 video!

by y h -
Hi, I know it's an old post but I have exactly the same question and I wanted to know which tool or program is the best for this service. I tried Zentation but the video has to be from YouTube or it won't be free so it's a limitation for me although it's a great tool. So what is the best and free tool to use it???
Any help or advice are highly appreciated. Thanks in advance
In reply to y h

by Matt Bury -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi,

If you use a Ubuntu Linux OS, you can use

• GUVCView to record your webcam and audio.
  • RecordMyDesktop to record your desktop or and area of it (selectable) and your microphone.

Ubuntu and both recorders are free and open source software. You can install Ubuntu alongside Windows: The installation disk can automatically create a partition on your computer's hard drive and install Ubuntu there. Every time you turn on you computer, you can choose between booting into Windows or Ubuntu.

Ubuntu: http://www.ubuntu.com/

Personally, I prefer a variation called Lubuntu: http://lubuntu.net/

It best to connect your computer to the internet during installation via a LAN cable (WiFi won't work during installation).

Recording yourself talking...

However, if you want to make good quality "talking heads" video recordings, I don't recommend using a webcam. They tend to reduce frame rates and flatten contrast and colour depth so much that it's difficult to get good results even under ideal lighting conditions. Trust me, you'll end up spending more on lighting to compensate for the camera than just getting a decent camera in the first place.

I recommend getting the best digital camera or camcorder you can afford. Today's DSLR cameras can produce close to professional quality results under less than ideal lighting conditions. Additionally, you can plug decent microphones into them and this'll make a very noticeable difference to the audio quality.

I use a Canon EOS DSLR with a Rode NTG2 microphone and I can record just about anything, anywhere and get great quality results.

Most consumer digital cameras can do quite a good job of recording video but the audio quality tends to vary. It's best if you can try them out in a shop and listen back to the audio through headphones.

If you have a high-end smartphone, some of them make pretty good video and audio recordings so that might be worth checking out too.

I hope this helps! smile