Termly student reviews

Termly student reviews

by Mike Worth -
Number of replies: 61
Each term our college does progress reviews for the students. This consists of how much homework has/hasn't been done by subject, attendance by subject, marks for effort/behaviour, current/target grades and comments.

We want to integrate this into moodle, parially as some of the data can then be automatically populated and partly so that students/parents can access it easier (at a guess paper copies will still be printed and posted but I need to discuss with management).

I'm thinking of creating an activity that will open at a certian time for all teachers to begin commenting, then after a while will close and take copies of attendance/homework completion etc as well as the comments etc so that it remains as a record of their progress at that time.

Has anyone else done anything like this before?

Mike
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mike Worth

Re: Termly student reviews

by Dale Davies -
Hi Mike,

I have just done something very similar using the Database mod, if needed you can create one group per student and then have everything private etc. Templates can be set up to allow them/teacher to enter all types of information. All entries can also be commented on.

I modified the module so that teachers can print out the results in addition to just being able to export to excel etc.

If you need the print modifications let me know, Im using moodle 1.9.2.
In reply to Dale Davies

by Sharon Goodson -

How do y'all populate the student data? I'd like to create a couple of databases - one something similar to Mike's, and another that tracks inventory (books sent to students). I created the inventory database (database activity), but got stuck on how to proceed. 

I would like to link the databases with the Moodle user info so that when I add new students, or when they enroll in other classes, this information  automatically syncs. 

Seems like it would be a simple thing for someone familiar with databases, database linking and php (which I'm not, on all counts).

I would be interested in the print modifications, too, but of course, I need to have a functioning database first *lol*

In reply to Sharon Goodson

by Dale Davies -
Id say the easiest way to populate student data would be to use the database's import function. To quote the Database help file...

"Records should be delimited by new lines (usually generated by pressing RETURN or ENTER in your text editor). Tabs can be specified using \t and newlines by \n.

Sample file:

However I've never tried it. Inventory tracking would be difficult if you wanted it to link with another system, you could persuade someone to update it manually perhaps. As for how the database could sync between courses Im not too sure. Both of these would require you to customise the database mod itself, PHP skills would come in handy here.

I imagine the latter could be acheived, but as for linking to an external system that's beyond me!

In reply to Dale Davies

by Sharon Goodson -

Thanks, Dale!

No, I don't want to link to external databases. I want to use the Moodle database mod (database activity) to hold this data. We use our front page for admin only. Students and teachers are directed to My Moodle. I have these databases as activities on the front page 'course.' 

I initially did import everything as a csv file (after days of troubleshooting thanks to Windows Notepad, which does weird behind the scene things with BOM and UTF-8), but I was hoping I could link the two database activities to at least the Moodle user profile tables.

I have no problem modifying code if I have something to go by. I've modified several modules and some core code successfully. I just don't know what most of the code actually means. I'm super-careful and make copies of any and everything before I make changes. In fact, I created a database activity (*lol*) where I record changes, locations, steps and reasons for the change. I save the original files in a folder outside the Moodle root. Might be a bit of overkill, but better safe than sorry.

I'm afraid that if we have to manually update information in several different areas anytime there's a single change or addition, the consistency of information will start to break down.

For future reference, what are your print modifications?

Thanks!

In reply to Dale Davies

by Mike Worth -
I've just had a quick look at the database mod, it feels like it could probably do the job, but will take lots of work and fiddling to get it right especially in joining all the records together and pulling in data from the other tables in the mysql database.

I think I'll be better off writing a mod with it's own proper database tables. This will also let me make much nicer interfaces. I'll have a look and keep you posted on my progress

Mike
In reply to Mike Worth

by Sharon Goodson -

Please do, Mike!

Sounds like you're wanting to do basically the some thing I am. I can tweak and fiddle, but I'd have a huge learning curve to write my own module! *lol*

Good luck!!

In reply to Mike Worth

by Mike Worth -
I've started creating the designs for this module, and it needs to act slightly differently to normal modules.

It needs to be created only on the front page by an admin (I'm pretty sure I've seen a limit to certian couses feature which will do this) and have all the options configured. It then needs to copy to all non-meta courses as a non-editable, non-deletable activity. Then once a configured date has passed needs to no longer show on courses as an activity (although data will need to be kept so that it can be displayed elsewhere)

Anyone got any ideaas on how to do this?

Thanks,
Mike
In reply to Mike Worth

by Mike Worth -
I've managed to make a start. I have managed to put has_capability checks into the add,update and delete instance functions so that teachers cannot play with it even in their courses.

Anyone got any ideas on making it automatically clone to other courses?

Thanks,
Mike
In reply to Mike Worth

by Mike Worth -
I've got something that works. Although needs some polishing and the functionality will probably change slightly when management decide they want a slightly different review in place, it may be of use to someone.

Bear in mind that clicking the distribute button will put a copy onto all non-meta courses so be sure before clicking it on a production server. Tutor groups are also detected by a hardcoded check that looks for a / in the shortname.

As always no guarantee it will work- if it becomes autonomous and abducts your firstborn it's your own responsibility etc. That said it seems to for me.

Mike
In reply to Mike Worth

by Sharon Goodson -

Thanks for sharing, Mike! I'll check it out!

PS - Is there an abduction option for my lastborn? The almost-legal redheaded male is really bringing on the gray hairs! 

In reply to Mike Worth

by Mike Worth -
I've done a bit more work. Now if a teacher deletes the activity from their course it will only be removed from that course and there is a page availible to managers to restore or fully delete the data (I am going to display this data on pages elsewhere).

I haven't done a proper update file so if you've alreay installed the last one, uninstall it and then install this one.

Abduction feature is still in the early stages- might be included in later releaseswink

Mike
In reply to Mike Worth

by Sharon Goodson -

Ok Mike, I've been busy with my last-born's twin brother (since it was one birth, I wonder if it would count as a single abduction...?). Anyway, I'm ready to check this out.

I've unzipped it. The readme file still refers to the 'new module,' but i see you've changed those references. Do I just drop this in the mod/data folder and use notifications to set up, or do I need to tweak something (besides the kids' ears)?

by Mike Worth -
If you download the latest version from the tracker (direct link) I have cleaned it up and put a proper README in there. All you've got to do is pop the unzipped folder in moodle/mod and go to yourmoodle/admin (notifications) page.

Hopefully the readme is complete enough in the usage section, if not let me know and I can explain it

Mike
In reply to Mike Worth

by Mike Worth -
I've added it to the tracker as a contrib submission. Latest version of my code released will always be put there (just uploaded the current one).

Feel free to post any comments either here or on the tracker page

Mike
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mike Worth

by Mike Worth -
V1.1 uploaded to tracker, can now select some courses to distrubute to rather than all or nothing and can bulk-remove

Mike
In reply to Mike Worth

by Sharon Goodson -

Hey Mike! I installed Term Review v1.1 -  all looked great -  I check out settings, not much to do there, I distributed (I LOVE that! I want more distribute buttons!!),  I went to a class, it listed all my students - but that was it - nothing else on the page. I selected another student and I get "Course Module is Incorrect." sad  

Tried several more classes, same thing. I looked at the "Restore/Delete Removed Review Links," thinking maybe some of your links were still there (and realized almost immediately that, of course, your links would not be in my database, and was immediately thankful no one was around to question my reasoning)  - but the page is blank (except of the nav bar), as maybe it should be, since I have no links yet (unless that was supposed to occur with the distribute? Did I mention I love that button?)

Don't be in a big hurry for me. I'm not Moodling this week - in theory, anyway - and we're moving to another server the following week, so  I'll be reinstalling blocks and such anyway (I guess - I've never Moodle Migrated - sounds like an adventure! - or like I need a life *lol*)

Thanks!

by Mike Worth -
First thing, did you change the close date? It defaults to the current day which will result in a read only view- if there is no data to display it will simply not display anything other than the name.

No links will display in the restore/delete page until the activities are 'deleted' from courses; instead of fully deleting what this does is remove the links on the course page- restore/delete is used to either fully remove the data or restore the links.

I've just had a play on my shiny new development server with silly amounts of debug messages and it seems there are a lot of non-critical errors and warnings about the place. I'll work on these and see it that fixes the problems.

Mike
In reply to Mike Worth

by Sharon Goodson -

Hi Mike! Yes, I did change the close date. I removed 1.1 and installed 1.2.1. It was still doing the same thing with the blank page (listed students in a drop down, but that's it). There were more viewable options with the 1.2.1 install, like selecting course instances to update, etc.

I thought maybe something in sessions was being obnoxious, so I logged out. When I tried to log back in, I got the Moodle equivalent of the Windows Blue Death Screen - the blank white page. So did everyone else once they signed off.

So I deleted everything referencing termreview in the database. Still no luck. I blame it on someone else, then I blamed it on the web host, but I knew it had something to go with me - even if just karma.

The moodle/index.php was calling function ...profile/field//field.class.php from ...user/profile/lib.php (I think). So I was pretty sure it had something to do with a profile field problem (duh), and there probably shouldn't be an empty directory.  

Nevertheless, for reasons unknown to me, earlier I hit the print screen button when Moodle set up the tables.  I eventually looked at the printed page and noted termreview had inserted 'avgcse' in mdl_user_info_field. (I realized later the same thing was on an upgrade.php file). I deleted this entry, tried logging in again and I heard trumpets blow - almost angelic-like big grin  ...Till I noticed my profiles were whacked out, and my pics were gone. Discovered more termreview tables (pretty sure I deleted them before), dropped those, and now I do believe all is well again in Moodleland.

Didn't mean to write a novel, but thought you would appreciate the feedback, as I got the impression you were interested in how this tested on other systems.

From what I got to see for a brief period, I really like the base testing and expected scoring functions. We have a similar assessment structure, and this would be very nice.

Please note, I will never try new stuff on my production system again, and I only hope I am not banned for doing so this time, but it was innocent (ignorant) enough.  Had I not had so many profile customizations (and another profile block), I probably would not have run into this.

Maybe it was an exaggerated effect of the 'avgcse' field similar to what Umesh experienced?

Please keep us posted!!

by Mike Worth -
I've just had a brainwave relating to the first problem- I can't remember what I set the default permissions to; check they are set properly (the names are pretty ronseal).

As far as the extra profile field is concerned, I''ll definately look into it- I did that bit by creating one normally and then looking to see what rows were created. I must have got something here wrong blush. Sorry about that

Mike

by Mike Worth -
I've tried removing and re-installing the block to try to replicate your problem; all works for me.

Did the problem occur immediately after the install without uploading any grades? (sounds that way but just to make sure)

Do you have any other custom profile fields?

Could you let me know the full command used to insert the avgcse field (from the install notifications) so I can check that was all the way it should have been?

What server software/versions have you got?

Thanks,
Mike
In reply to Mike Worth

by Sharon Goodson -

Hey Mike! Yes, the blank login page occurred immediately after the second install. The initial problem, not seeing form fields, occurred with both, but we had no problems logging back in until the second. When I still couldn't view any fields, I logged out, couldn't get back in, asked another user who was already on to try, then he was locked out.  I checked the logs and nobody did anything unusual.   

As I mentioned, yes, I have custom user fields, but they are optional (though that may not make a difference), and I also use a profile plug-in (http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=13&rid=893 ), Enhanced User Profile because the interface is SO much friendly and useful. I tweaked that a bit, but it really just pulls from existing profile fields.

I think the plug-in may be more involved, as this appeared 'skewed' after I was able to log back in, everything was expanded and offset, and it wasn't pulling all the data from the profile fields. 

Something that seems completely unrelated is that all images, including icons, logos, user pics, on all pages where gone until I deleted the final tables in the second troubleshoot.

I also recall at one point wondering about permissions, when I saw the settings in the database. Unfortunately, I can't remember what brought it to my attention or what I thought the connection was.  

I'm attaching the setup info for the first and the second install. I think the reason I printed the second setup report is because I noticed it was so much shorter than the first, and it did report that 'termreview module needs upgrading". 

I'm running Moodle 1.9.2 - We are on a Debian hosted server, MySQL 5.0.45, PHP 5.2.2.

Thanks!!

by Mike Worth -
I've found the issue- I'd forgotten to define the field type in the upgrade scriptblush

I've fixed this in V1.2.2

Sorry for wrecking your install

For anyone else with this problem, you can fix it by getting to your database and doing:

UPDATE mdl_user_info_field SET datatype='text' WHERE datatype='';
In reply to Mike Worth

by Sharon Goodson -

wink Not a problem - it's my own fault for not testing on development system (which I need to set back up - a dreamweaver issue, not a termreview issue *lol*). I will get the test system set back up and try again. I don't want to push my luck so close to migrating.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks!

In reply to Mike Worth

by Mike Worth -
V1.2

Main new feature is the abilty to default the minimum target grade field on the teacher form with a calculated value, based on a students average GCSE score and statistical data for previous students taking the relevant course. This does, in a few places, work things out using certian data encoded into our course idnumbers. If your course idnumbers don't work it should not intefere with anything other than the mtg calculation.
In reply to Mike Worth

by umesh chavan -
hello mike,

i liked the idea of term review of students....i downloded n installed v1.2 but there is one profile field gets added into moodle users ie Average GCSE Score...due to whcih i can not use any user's facilities..like profile view/ add new user etc....

can guide on this ...

umesh
In reply to umesh chavan

by Sharon Goodson -

Wait! How come I couldn't get that far? *LOL*

I thought maybe I needed to do something with the formslib.php - but I don't guess you had to do that? I wonder if it's the difference between v1.1 and v1.2?

Well, we'll hear from Mike soon. He's probably busy working on a 'teen reform' option (which I think deserves it's own module, but hey - I'm not the author  big grin )

by Mike Worth -
The addition of the Average GCSE field is part of the main new feature in 1.2 (av gcse scores can be uploaded and used to calculate target grades).

I'm not sure why it may be causing problems with viewing profiles or adding new users as both seem to work fine for me. What errors are you getting?

Mike
In reply to umesh chavan

by Mike Worth -
I assume you upgraded from a previous version? there was a bug in the upgrade script.

The following command will repair your database (if you haven't already):

UPDATE mdl_user_info_field SET datatype='text' WHERE datatype='';

The bug has been fixed in V1.2.2 if you want to try it again
In reply to Mike Worth

by Mike Worth -
V1.2.1

No new features- just cleaned up a bit, mainly sorting undefined variables etc.

Might sort out problems but then again might not- no harm in trying though. No DB changes
In reply to Mike Worth

by Mike Worth -
V1.3

Played about with usertab.php and added a lot on links
Now any old reviews are printed below the one currently being completed for comparison
Referrals are now fully configurable and will email lists of referred students to the appropriate perople when the mail review is closed
In reply to Mike Worth

by Mike Worth -
V 1.3.1

Just changed the emailing of referral lists to use the proper moodle function and stopped the usage of referrals on child reviews that are not selected for the parent review
In reply to Mike Worth

by Mike Worth -
V 1.3.2

Reviews that are closed without having been used are now deleted (there is no point keeping them there to view nothing)
In reply to Mike Worth

by Mike Worth -
V 1.3.3

Rodone the manager interface, replaced all the buttons with tabs and cleaned up titles etc.
Added a 'child courses' tab availible to managers
In reply to Mike Worth

by Mike Worth -
V 1.4

Is now a configuration option so that the module can be used without the attendance module being installed(under modules->activities->term review)
In reply to Mike Worth

by Mike Worth -
V 1.4.1

Added a manager tab to view all referrals and amalgamated performance grade scale and tarrget grade scale so that it is possible to get statistics for students currently working above/below their target grade
In reply to Mike Worth

by Mike Worth -
V 1.4.2

View referrals page will now show the referrals to the person to whom the lists are emailed as well as managers
In reply to Mike Worth

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Mike - Thanks for your patience, I am about to get to the stuff in the tracker and will look at the code and work toward getting this into CONTRIB soon. Peace - Anthony
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Anthony Borrow -
Mike (and others interested in the termreview module) - I have uploaded the files to CVS CONTRIB as requested in CONTRIB-879. That should prevent us from having to have various versions of code posted in the forums. Generally speaking, such things tend to be confusing for users. The latest code can be accessed by using the download latest link in the entry for the termreview module in the Modules & Plugins database. Let me know if anything else is needed or if there are any questions. Peace - Anthony

by Mike Worth -
Thanks for looking over it and doing what you've done.

I'm finished work for xmas but will hopefully get time in the first week of January to have a look at it. I've only had a quick play with CVS so far- if I manage to confuse myself I'll let you know.

Have a good xmas,
Mike
In reply to Mike Worth

by Anthony Borrow -
My pleasure Mike. Enjoy your time off and have a Merry Christmas. Peace - Anthony

by Dan Jeffries -
Hi Mike

I SO wish I had found this earlier as it could have been our life saver! (we want Moodle-based reports but are using the PLP instead...)

I've installed, setup on front page and edited the info.

However, no students are found and no Duplicate button can be seen.

What am I missing/doing wrong?

Thanks smile
In reply to Dan Jeffries

by Mike Worth -
Which version are you using?
I assume you're using the admin account? Check that you have termreview:manage capability in the system context
Do you see any error messages?

Mike
In reply to Mike Worth

by Dan Jeffries -
We're using the latest version that was in the CONTRIB page - 1.4?

And yes - using Admin too, and all capabilities set to Allow.

It seemed to work when I added the activity to an actual course and I could see a list of students and the relevant edit fields. However, nothing from the front page.

On top of that I wasn't able to select the Minimum Target Grades and Performance Grade (there is a drop down box, but nothing is visible).

Thanks for your help smile
In reply to Dan Jeffries

by Mike Worth -
You should see a row of tabs like this screenshot. Do you see anything? Could you turn your error reporting right up to developer (admin->server->debugging) and then try again to see if you get any errors (put it back to none afterwards)

Thanks,
Mike
Attachment termreviewmanagement.gif
In reply to Mike Worth

by Dan Jeffries -
Hey

Right, turned debugging on - this is what I see:

Table 'staffzone.mdl_user' doesn't exist

select distinct mdl_user.id,firstname,lastname from mdl_user join mdl_role_assignments on userid=mdl_user.id join mdl_context on contextid=mdl_context.id where contextlevel=50 and instanceid =1 and roleid=5 and deleted = 0 order by lastname;
  • line 686 of lib/dmllib.php: call to debugging()
  • line 966 of lib/dmllib.php: call to get_recordset_sql()
  • line 45 of mod/termreview/locallib.php: call to get_records_sql()
  • line 100 of mod/termreview/view.php: call to termreview_wholeclass()

No students found
Stack trace:
  • line 1666 of lib/deprecatedlib.php: call to debugging()
  • line 46 of mod/termreview/locallib.php: call to error()
  • line 100 of mod/termreview/view.php: call to termreview_wholeclass()

Any ideas??

In reply to Dan Jeffries

by Mike Worth -
I guess that you're using a non-standard prefix in your config.php? I managed to let a few slip through instead of looking it up from the config. I've fixed it now.

I've got a new computer and haven't got access through the firewall to upload the changes to cvs, but find a zip attached- you'll have to extract it over the old one then go to notifications to upgrade to the newest version

Mike
In reply to Mike Worth

by Dan Jeffries -
Dude my knowledge of PHP is nil, zip, nada.

:p

And no zip file alas!
In reply to Dan Jeffries

by Mike Worth -
Hmmm, is there some form of forum pixie stealing all my attachments? I'm sure I have actually been attaching things...

I'll upload it elsewhere and link to it for you tomorrow.

As far as php knowledge goes, it doesn't matter- I was just trying to guess the cause of the problem; just copying the files in the zip over the top of the old ones then going to notifications should fix it
In reply to Mike Worth

by Dan Jeffries -
Thanks for this - looking forward to the zip!!
In reply to Dan Jeffries

by Mike Worth -
In reply to Mike Worth

by Dan Jeffries -
Many thanks! Such high hopes but alas more errors sad

Notice: Undefined variable: CGF in /moodlesites/staffzone/mod/termreview/locallib.php on line 41

Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /moodlesites/staffzone/mod/termreview/locallib.php on line 41

Notice: Undefined variable: CGF in /moodlesites/staffzone/mod/termreview/locallib.php on line 42

Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /moodlesites/staffzone/mod/termreview/locallib.php on line 42

Notice: Undefined variable: CGF in /moodlesites/staffzone/mod/termreview/locallib.php on line 42

Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /moodlesites/staffzone/mod/termreview/locallib.php on line 42

Table 'staffzone.user' doesn't exist

select distinct user.id,firstname,lastname from user join role_assignments on userid=user.id join context on contextid=context.id where contextlevel=50 and instanceid =1 and roleid=5 and deleted = 0 order by lastname;
  • line 686 of lib/dmllib.php: call to debugging()
  • line 966 of lib/dmllib.php: call to get_recordset_sql()
  • line 46 of mod/termreview/locallib.php: call to get_records_sql()
  • line 107 of mod/termreview/view.php: call to termreview_wholeclass()
This is the parent review. To use it click the distribute tab (or ask a review manager to do it)

At least the Parent review comment above came up - but no tabs!
In reply to Dan Jeffries

by Mike Worth -
Sorry- my fault, managed to type CGF instead of CFG then copy/past it all over the place. This one should be fixed

Mike
In reply to Mike Worth

by Dan Jeffries -
Ok - no debugging info when I go into Developer mode, however still no tabs.

I'm looking at this from an Admin point of view.

I must be missing something! Any clues??
In reply to Dan Jeffries

by Mike Worth -
Try replacing your view.php with the one attached to this post (assuming the pixies don't steal it again)

Have you somehow changed the format of your front page?

Mike
In reply to Mike Worth

by Dan Jeffries -
Hey!

OK - tabs are now viewable, however there's still a lot of strange activity. And no, as far as I know our front page format is still the usual. Not even sure how I could make it different!

I am going to do a quick desktop recording of what the review shows so you can see it in more depth.

Thanks smile

Dan
In reply to Dan Jeffries

by Mike Worth -
I think I might have found the cause of the problem (I put a = where I should have put a == blush)

If you download it tomorrow then the change I have made will be included

Mike
In reply to Mike Worth

by Mike Worth -
I've finally got all my new computer/firewall issues sorted and am actually using cvs.

All the changes I've made since xmas will be available here tomorrow (I think this gets updated from cvs in the early hours of every morning- someone correct me if I'm wrong) and all future changes will show up there the day after I make them.

Mike
In reply to Mike Worth

by Mike Worth -
We have just finished using this module for college wide progress reviews. It seemed to work well (if we ignore the teachers' wonderful deadline meeting abilitiesmixed).

There were quite a lot of minor changes made to the system over this period, all of which I have now commited to CVS. They will be available using the download link on the M&P page from tomorrow.

Hope this is of use to someone,
Mike
In reply to Mike Worth

by Dan Jeffries -
Hey Mike!

We installed the new version but still had issues. :/

We could see the tabs along the top and a list of student names in a drop down box, but other than that there seemed to be no other content.

Will try this new version again tomorrow.

Is there anything we need to ensure is updated so I can advise my IT guy?

dan
In reply to Dan Jeffries

by Mike Worth -
The only requirements should be a browser with javascript, and that the students must be assigned the original student role (which your's must be if they appeared on the list). Ensure the capabilities for the activity are set properly.

Let me know how it goes,
Mike