Gradebook 1.9 Problem - I Need Inline Feedback

Gradebook 1.9 Problem - I Need Inline Feedback

by David Bunnell -
Number of replies: 5
I have two identical courses with two identcial gradebooks and assignments. One gradebook has an assignment where I don't get an inline feedback window (Fig. C) and the pulldown for the grade score is grayed out(Fig. C,4). There was just one assignment that was affected then the same thing happened to one student's score in another assignment (Fig. 1).

In the illustration section (Fig A) shows the grader report with the assignment highlighted by Moodle. There is also one student in another assignent that has his score highlighted{Fig. 1). Fig. 2 shows that student's quick grade box is grayed out and cannot be altered. All the feedback areas in all the student's for the highlighted column are the same. The feedback box does not appear and the pulldown score window does not work.

The only way to enter scores for this assignment and for the one highlighted student in the other assignment is through direct editing. This is unacceptable. I need to enter INLINE feedback and it doesn't work. The assignments in the identical course work properly.

Please help! Grades are due! I've searched everywhere but can't figure out what keywords will dislpay this error!

Right now Moodle Sucks!!! I've spent 3 hours working on this problem instead of grading!!!!
Attachment Gradebook_Errors.jpg
In reply to David Bunnell

Re: Gradebook 1.9 Problem - I Need Inline Feedback

by Nicolas Connault -
Hi David,

Thanks for the very clear screenshots. The problem is that your student's grade was overridden in the gradebook. This locks the grading mechanisms of the linked activity (in this case, assignment) for this particular grade, to prevent your change from being overridden by the activity.

You probably changed this grade by mistake. What you can do, in the gradebook view, is turn editing on, then edit the grade (click the hand-and-pencil icon next to the grade), and untick the "Overridden" checkbox. The original grade will appear, and you will be able to provide feedback through the assignment interface again.

Otherwise, you can provide your feedback through the gradebook. This is one of its main purposes. Still in editing mode, click "Show quick feedback". You get an input box with a dashed border below each grade input. The feedback you enter here will be reflected in the assignment grading interface.

See attached screenshot for locations of various gradebook interface elements.
Attachment gradebook2.png
In reply to Nicolas Connault

by Eric Westland -

I have needed to untick this override box and while it always works, I almost always have to do it twice (untick and save) before the grade is no longer greyed out and can be edited in the assignment window.

Does anyone know why unticking it once doesn't do it?

TIA,

Eric

by David Bunnell -
Nicolas,

Thank you so much for your help. For the whole assignment, I had to go and unlock each student's grade. I couldn't use the unlock symbol, nor could I uncheck the "override box" for the entire assignment as it would recheck itself after clicking save.

Thanks again.

Moodle no longer sucks.

David

by Deb Burdick-Hinton -
I love the quick feedback feature but the "overridden" box is automatically ticked when you add feedback and the main reason i use feedback it to encourage students to redo the assignment if they earned a low score or have not yet completed it. Otherwise it seems like something you would only use after all grades are final which is really disappointing. Yes, I know, every time you add feedback, you have to untick the box but geeze that extra step will add up over time and inevitably many of the instructors will forget to untick....so I think I will avoid unless I can just disable the "override" from being checked automatically when you add feedback? That would be great!
In reply to Deb Burdick-Hinton

by Deb Burdick-Hinton -
I just logged into the 1.9.5 test site and it looks like this problem has been fixed. Any way to get it fixed in v1.9.4. This is a real problem and instructors are constantly locking grades without intending to do so. The support nightmare this has created is HUGE. I was hoping to get some relief sooner than upgraded to v1.9.5. Since we have activity locking installed it takes us a long time to test in order to upgrade, we are using v1.9.2+ (which has A LOT OF ISSUES) and hope to move to 1.9.4 next weekend if all goes well.

Thanks for any feedback you have on this.