When user are assigned both as a student and a teacher, they lost teacher permissions

When user are assigned both as a student and a teacher, they lost teacher permissions

by Wen Hao Chuang -
Number of replies: 8
Dear all, I guess I could use some help from other core developers or Roles gurus here.

Our live production site is running a heavily customized 1.9.0 code base. Somehow right now if we assign a user to be both "teacher" (editing teacher) and "student", that user will lost all his teacher privilege and won't see the editing button. Any idea what might go wrong (the site setting side or where to look at the codes)? This issue might be present in 1.9.0 but got fixed in 1.9.3. If this is the case and people remember what's the MDL# please let me know (I did some search for it on Moodle Tracker but no luck). Thanks!
Attachment when_login_as_teacher_teacher_the_editing_button_is_gone.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Wen Hao Chuang

Re: When user are assigned both as a student and a teacher, they lost teacher permissions

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
How is the student role defined? Capabilitites you don't want students to have should be Not set, not Prevent.

You really need some of the diagnostic tools I am building for Moodle 2.0!
In reply to Tim Hunt

Re: When user are assigned both as a student and a teacher, they lost teacher permissions

by Wen Hao Chuang -
Hi Tim, thanks so much for your help! You were right that it was caused by the student roles permission. Once I cleared out whole bunch of capabilities that was set to "prevent" in student roles previously, and change them to "not set", it seems to have fixed the problem. Thanks!

Just curious though, I haven't dig into the permission/capabilities codes deep enough to figure this out. Is there any special reason why we should set it to "Not set", and not "Prevent" in those capabilities that we don't want students to have? Thanks!
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Wen Hao Chuang -
By the way I would be VERY interested to know more about the diagnostic tools that you are building for Moodle 2.0. Meanwhile I have also started to update the docs.moodle.org (see http://docs.moodle.org/en/Capabilities/) to list out things that people should be aware of (about capabilities) in bulleted point format. Comments and feedback are always welcome!

Also Tim, I think we discussed this a while ago (I can't find the thread though) about implementing import/export "permissions" settings for the roles. I have created a ticket for this (MDL-17081). I think this feature is very important (especially for people who are running a lot of testing/staging sites). Is there any 3rd party codes that already implmented this? Thanks!

Wen

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Wen, I can't believe you are asking this! I recently started another thread in this forum about the changes I am doing in Moodle 2.0. So the normally netiquette about searching before you ask a question should not even have required a search this time.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Wen Hao Chuang -
Sorry Tim. My bad. Quite busy these days so I haven't been following some forum discussions for a while now. Thanks for pointing this out! smile

by Mark Guest -
If a person is registered as a student and an administrator would they lose administrative permission as well, if assignments were changed?
In reply to Mark Guest

by Tim Hunt -
Probably not, because the admin had a special capabilitiy moodle:site/doanything, that acts like a trump card.