Outcomes and criterion based assessment. Help!

Outcomes and criterion based assessment. Help!

by Steve van Ommen -
Number of replies: 3
I have been able in Moodle 1.9, to create criteria under outcomes. However I want to be able to give students an A, B, C or D for each of the criteria. I can't see where that can be done? All it has is the options of 'connected' and 'separate ways of knowing' etc. I also would like to display these criteria letter marks in an overview form.
ANy help - much appreciated! It is critical to our taking Moodle up in our school.
In reply to Steve van Ommen

Re: Outcomes and criterion based assessment. Help!

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
You need to create a new scale by going to grades>scales and then add a new scale. Then when you go back to outcomes it will appear as an additional one.
In reply to Steve van Ommen

by Dennis Williams -
I think you need to create your own custom scale in addition to "connected and seperate ways of knowing." Once you create a new scale it will be a selectable option when you create the outcome. For instance, we created a four part scale ranging from inadequate to excellent that we use for outcomes.

You could create a scale that creates A, B, C and D. The risk is that if someone selects that 4 item custom scale as the scale to use for a graded assignment, the D will report 0%, the C 33%, B 66%, A 100%. That will frustrate them to no end. I've yet to find out how to dig in and change the % value on items in a custom scale w/o just putting in unused elements to serve as place holders to get the % value to the proper point.
In reply to Dennis Williams

by Nicolas Connault -
To clear things up about letter grades in the 1.9 gradebook:

• Grades are edited in one of 3 formats by teachers/staff, in the grader report:
  1. Values, delimited by min and max grade
  2. Scale
  3. Text
These grades can then be displayed in several ways to the students:
  1. Raw grade: as the teacher entered it
  2. Percentage: in relation to min and max grade, curved to 0-100
  3. Letter: Automatically display a letter depending on which range the raw grade falls into
The display of the grades does not affect their raw value (the value stored in the database).

So, if you want your grades to appear as letters for your students, you do not need to use a scale. You just leave the grade type as "Value" and change the grade display type to "Letter", either in your individual grade items or for the entire course.

See the grade display type documentation for more info.

You can also define site-wide or per-course the ranges of grades associated with your grade letters, and even rename the letters. See the grade letter documentation.