Doing it the right way

Doing it the right way

by Mike Brinkman -
Number of replies: 2

We're over half-way through our first semester using Moodle. Unfortunately, many of our instructors have set up their gradebooks incorrectly. They're using different methods of calculating grades (some assignments graded on a 4.0 scale, some on points, some satisfactory, etc.). Extra Credit has been extremely problematic as well.

So suppose you were going to teach somebody how to use the gradebook from scratch. What aggregation method would you suggest? Extra Credit does not seem to calculate correctly if you use anything but "Sum of Grades" in your overall aggregation method.

The whole situation is very frustrating, and everything I'm seeing is that from 1.8 to 1.9 the Moodle Gradebook took a HUGE step backwards.

In reply to Mike Brinkman

Re: Doing it the right way

by Gary Anderson -
Mike:

Have your teachers go through the tutorial I wrote at http://docs.moodle.org/en/Gradebook_1.9_Tutorial

Provided that their grading strategy uses one of the three methods described, the gradebook should work fine.

For things like extra-credit, at Seattle Academy, I just patched it to work the way it should and posted our fix to the tracker. But this will require you to patch the PHP code, so you need to decide if that is worth it.

There is a new gradebook configuration page being developed that you can read about in this forum that should help.

--Gary