scorm grade and certificate module

scorm grade and certificate module

by mary sams -
Number of replies: 16
Hi all,
I'm currently using the certificate module in a course that consists of one scormed topic (which counts the number of pages that the user accesses and records this to the gradebook) and a Moodle quiz.

I have been trying to set the certificate's dependent activities so that it is only accessible if the student looks at all of the pages in the scorm topic (i.e. scores 100% in the gradebook for the topic) and achieves 100% in the quiz.

The certificate works perfectly if the only dependent activity is the 100% score on the quiz, but it does not seem to recognise the score that the user gets from the scorm topic. Therefore, even if a user scores 100% in the assessment and looks at all of the pages in the scorm topic to achieve a 100% grade in the gradebook, the certificate is still not accessible?

Could anyone fill me in on what I'm doing wrong here?
Thanks and best wishes,
Mary
Average of ratings: -
In reply to mary sams

Re: scorm grade and certificate module

by Christopher Murad -
Mary-
It seems that there may be a issue with the grading method used in the SCORM package.

Try changing the grading method that is used that may resolve the issue.

In reply to mary sams

by Gary Hires -
Mary,

Did you every find a solution to your problem? I have been beating head up against the wall for the past two days trying to figure out if it is my SCORM package or the certificate plug-in. When logged-in as a student, the grades show up as "100%" for the SCORM activity and Quiz - exactly like your scenario, but yet the certificate link still reports "You must first meet all course activity grade requirements before receving your certificate."

If any of you certificate developers are reading this . . . It would be extremely helpful if when one receives this kind of message - - "You must first meet all . . .", the certificate script would indicate which items have yet to be "completed" or if debugging information would be available to see exactly WHY this message is being generated. Because looking at the gradebook, it appears to the average, everyday person that everything should be working correctly . . .

Gary
In reply to Gary Hires

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
In reply to Dan Marsden

by Gary Hires -
Thanks, Dan. But let me clarify. My SCORM activity IS updating the gradebook properly. There isn't a problem with the SCORM object. The SCORM object functions properly and updates the gradebook. The SCORM object transfers the passing/completed score as expected in the gradebook. The gradebook lists the SCORM activity as being completed with a percentage score of 100%. I've attached a snapshot of the grades - report - user report. The certificate module itself somehow isn't recognizing that the SCORM activity has been completed. I've even tried to leave the "require grade" for the dependent activity to NO and still the same response. The only way to get passed the certificate lock feature is to completely remove ANY SCORM activity. (I've tried with various SCORM test files using a variety of passed/incomplete, complete/incomplete, passed/failed, complete/failed).
Attachment Capture.JPG
In reply to Gary Hires

by Venkat Rao -

Hi Gary,

I was dealing with the exact same problem until a few minutes ago. My major problem was that my scorm package was not inserting the score into the database (well, that's a different story).

If your scorm package is inserting scores into the db successfully, maybe a few minor changes might help you open the certificate successfully.

This is what I changed in my certificate module's settings:

REQUIRED COURSE GRADE: NO

DEPENDENT ACTIVITIES:

LINKED ACTIVITY: [THE_SCORMIFIED_COURSE]

REQUIRED GRADE: 80% (you should set it to 100% if that's what your scorm object reports to the database on completion of the course).

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Venkat

In reply to Venkat Rao

by Tony Watkins -

May I ask you guys (particularly those who got a SCORM to work with the Cerificate module) a few basic questions:

What course format should I use?  Presumably not SCORM, as it does not allow any additional Activities.  In that case, can I use the Topic format, as I think this will be most understandable to my audience?

If I use the Topic format, should the SCORM and Certificate Activities be in the same or different Topics?

What settings should I use to allow movement from a successfully completed SCORM to the Certificate?  At present, whatever I do, Moodle just seems to sit at the end of the SCORM.

How can I tell for certain that the SCORM has completed successfully - is the green tick sufficient?  Is there a built-in tool to look at its reporting?

We are using Moodle 1.9.4 and the test SCORM that I believe is completing successfully is created in Captivate 4.  I can make it available via a link if you need it.

Please help - I am desperate!

In reply to Tony Watkins

by Dustin Elliott -

Tony,

I am really new to Moodle but I have had some success setting up SCORM courses using the Topics format.

In my case the SCORM activity is in topic #1, there is a Quiz in topic #2, and then the certificate is in topic #3.

I use Articulate to create my SCORM content and get it to move from a successfully completed SCORM by adding a simple quiz, one question, to the end of it.  Once someone passes the quiz built into the SCORM there is a "Finished" button that moves them back to the course where they can select the next topic but that may be a functionality specific to Articulate.

When I setup the SCORM in Articulate I had it use the quiz score to indicate Pass/Fail and that is what it passes to Moodle to determins if the SCORM has been completed successfully.

For the Certificate I set the dependent activites so it requires a grade of 100% on the SCROM before it will allow the student to access it.  I also set a second dependent activity requiring a minimum score on the quiz in topic #2 but that might not be required in your situation.

Hope that was of some help and anyone feel free to correct me as I am still learning as well.

In reply to Dustin Elliott

by Tony Watkins -

Dustin,

Many thanks for your advice; I will endeavour to replicate your approach.

I am unsure what in Captivate might constitute the equivalent to the Articulate "Finished" button, unless it's the Exit (X) button on the Captivate toolbar; none of the functions that can be attributed to buttons correspond and I can't imagine it's necessary to write Javascript.  I have been looking for this information in forums and documemntation without success. So, if anyone knows this missing piece of Captivate information, that would also be very welcome.

by Tony Watkins -
Dustin,

Thanks again for your advice - I have created a 3-topic course, comprising SCORM, Quiz, Certificate. With some help on Captivate from the Adobe forums, I am now certain that my SCORM is successfully completing, as it is returning to the Topic Contents page and showing a tick. However, although it is set to Auto-Continue, it does not proceed automatically to the quiz.

Any ideas, please - or anybody else?
In reply to Tony Watkins

by Dustin Elliott -

Can anyone verify that the Auto-Continue setting is supposed to move from a completed SCORM to the next topic automatically? 

From what I can tell it is only to move from one SCORM to the next in the same topic.

by Craig Sakach -
All of my testing has shown that it only moves within the same topic and not from one topic to the next.
In reply to Craig Sakach

by Dusty Alexander -

Has anyone found a way to have the certificate module generate a certificate after the successful completion of a SCORM? I haven’t been able to figure this out so I made a sad work around. Tell me if this helps or if someone has solved the problem.

My work around solution:

1. Create a certificate that I will later link to a SCORM.
  2. Copy the link to generate the certificate page.
  3. On the last slide of my SCORM, set under action for the slide (On Enter = Open URL or file, URL: the copied link to generate certificate)
  4. Under captivate quiz, set the required = Answer All, Pass = 100%. So if they do not pass the quiz the continue button will never allow them to get to the last slide.
  5. I know you can also just set the "If Passing Grade" Action = Open URL or file, URL = link to generate file.

Anyway, this is what I have so far but I would rather the certificate module generate a certificate after the SCORM finishes.

Thank you,
Dusty

In reply to Dusty Alexander

by Dusty Alexander -

How embarrassing! I wasn't viewing the certificate as a student! The certificate module works great even with SCORMs. Thank you!!!

by Micky Fokken -

Dusty, I wish I could use your workaround, but I am requiring the completion of multiple Moodle Quizzes and SCORMs in a single course before viewing the certifiate.

My system (1.9.9 - Build 20100609) isn't reading the SCORM grades.  In the gradebook ALL SCORMs are listed as 100%.

I'll continue research to see why the certificate is reading the quiz grade correctly, but not the SCORM grade correctly.

In reply to Micky Fokken

by Dusty Alexander -

Micky, let me know if you find a solution. If not maybe we can use https://join.me/ and I can try to help.

Kind regards,

Dusty

by Iliya Tonov -

Hi I try to make it whith "workaround" on moodle 2.2 (latest stable)

Course published in scorm format whit a certificate that was created before uploading scorm. Everything works fine except articulate generated presentation did not open certificate page beacuse before player exits score is not passed to moodle. Then certificate states that "You have to ... obtain certificate" no luck dealin with this yet...