Live video chat etc

Live video chat etc

by Allen Buchanan -
Number of replies: 5

First of all, Moodle is being introduced this fall to my Middle Division. It was my open-source program of choice because it has many features found in very expensive LMS systems. I set it up on my own Windows 2000 Server, and it's running on the Apache server. So far, all is well.

I'm a Ph. D candidate in Instructional Design and Online Learning at Capella University. In my research, I have come across many interface approaches to impact the e-leanring environment. However, one of the newest and most innovative approaches has come out of Macromedia called Breeze. This interface combines live online video/audio conferencing, instant messaging chat capability, and a whiteboard for collaboration. There are several other vendors who offer this kind of interface, so I was wondering if Moodle was considering the development of such a tool. I'm beginning to learn PHP and my last project would be writing code to develop an online forum.

Of course, Moodle already has the forum capability. There's shareware whiteboards and Videolan(www.videolan.org) shareware tool for live audio/video broadcasting. The question is how to bring all three components into one interface page and incorporate it into Moodle.

Your comments and suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Allen Buchanan

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Allen Buchanan

Re: Live video chat etc

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Have a look around the forums and you'll find plenty of talk about this with some different approaches being tried  ... it's really a very advanced project.  Streaming video/audio/whiteboards written in PHP+Flash would be ideal but very hard to do.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by AjnabiZ ... -
This is exactly what i am looking for

are  there any plans for supports video/audio conferencing ?
In reply to AjnabiZ ...

by Dave Bethany -

Network EducationWare from Dr. Mark Pullen and George Mason University is an open-source, non-commericial system I've been using for years. It is free for academic purposes. It is far better than Breeze and it is free.

http://netlab.gmu.edu

In reply to Dave Bethany

by AjnabiZ ... -

Hi Dave

Thanks for the link

Can you please give a link to your site where you have isntalled it. I would like to check it

I have downloaded the demo, but it does not show any Video Option. I dont think it supports Video Web Conferencing

In reply to AjnabiZ ...

by Dave Bethany -
Yes, it does support video. From the demo download it doesn't load unless it is needed. If you go to the full download area and do a complete install, then the vid side will install.