How to organise computers for student access?

How to organise computers for student access?

by Anne Nicolson -
Number of replies: 11

We are currently setting up a high school science course, including bio, chem and physics. Its all new to us and our approach has been to treat moodle like a filing cabinet. Putting all existing resources under courses and topics at the appropriate level. We hope to refine as we go.

One big issue for us is computer configuration. We only have single computers in each sci lab so have to book a computer suite for ICT lessons. I would love to use the 'choice resource' to survey the kids prior knowledge before I began teaching a concept. Going to the computer suite for 10 minutes is not an option - how to waste a period getting everyone to and from!

Has anyone got an ideal solution for computer access for moodle that they think works. I'm interested in the COW concept.

I am happy to post our courses once they take a bit more shape. Is there any interest?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Anne Nicolson

Re: How to organise computers for student access?

by Jeff Wood -

Hi Anne,

I have been using moodle with my "regular classes" for almost 2 years (intro science, computers and physics)... and have found it works GREAT!  I use it for homework, posting of resources, submission of assignments, handouts...

A bit of background about moodle.  If each student has their own login (which I suggest they do for a number of reasons) no computer configuration is required.  Moodle will track what each student does (quizzes, surveys, etc...).

As for your issue...

1. Does your school have computers available for student use (library, open computer lab at noon)?

2. Do most of your students have internet access from home?

If yes to either/both... consider making your surveys "homework."

Jeff

Aside - I teach at a school called Nicholson big grin

In reply to Jeff Wood

by Marius Muntean -
Hi jeff

I am new in moodle, I want to implement it, at Dimitrie Cantemir University in Cluj-Napoca, Romania. I saw you are an experienced moodler. How did you use the gradebook to your classrooms?

Thanks
In reply to Marius Muntean

by Jeff Wood -

Morning Marius,

Experienced? thoughtful  I have been using it for a while, but NOT as a 100% online course.

I teach high school in Canada and use moodle to augment my classroom teaching and to communicate with parents.

As for the "gradebook" I'm sorry but I do not use moodle's.  I use a program called Markbook (markbook.com) and have it generate an HTML version of the marks that I post to the moodle course.

Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance.

I would be more than willing to help you with how I use moodle and integrate it with my regular class room.

Jeff

In reply to Jeff Wood

by Marius Muntean -

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your answer, for me everything it's new: terms, modules, activities and the greatest problem how I will integrate everything in the actual teaching system (knowing in Eastern Europe constructivism it's a very new theory). May be you will take a look on my site when will be in a usable form.

Thanks

In reply to Marius Muntean

by Jeff Wood -

Marius,

More than happy to take a look at your site... when it is ready (or before).

I think you will find that moodle can do virtually everything.

Many of moodle's features I have not used (yet).

The nice thing about moodle it that you can use as many or as few features as you deem neccessary.

If you have not taken a look at some of the resources

Teacher manual

Teacher video (older version of moodle) http://mjwoodresources.ca/test/teacher_info.swf

Student demo (login as a guest)

you may find them useful.

Jeff

by W Page -
Hi Anne!

What is the "COW concept"

WP1
In reply to W Page

by Anne Nicolson -

'Cows'  Computers On Wheels. Basically a trolley that has 6-10 computers slotted into it. The computers can be charged in the trolley when not in use. There can be a wireless network attached. For security there is central locking so that each computer is anchored into the trolley and the trolley itself can be chained to the stairwell (or something solid). Best of all the trolley can be wheeled into the classroom when needed.

So my quesion is really how good are laptops? Do they stand up to constant lugging around. Do kids spill things on them? What do the army use?

by Jill Kaminski -

The army uses special laptops (called rugged computers) that are built for "lugging around", weather, heat, humidity, shock, dust, etc. Different government agencies would have different specifications for each of these requirements. More "normal" users are also a client base for rugged computers, and if you Google "rugged computer" or "rugged laptop", you could read more. The obviously higher price might put them out of the range of a school, but then again, if they have to start replacing them because of damage, it might be worth it. I don't know.

I do work in the technology department of a high school, and we have a few carts which each have a laptop and projector that travel around as needed, but otherwise, we stick with desktops. Some schools in our district have computer labs filled with laptops, but they tend to disappear (even when locked somehow), and to become more damaged than desktops in general, I think. In your COW case though, it sounds like space will be an issue.

by W Page -
COW = Computer On Wheels

neat!!

How do we make requests for words to link to the Moodle Glossary?  Do we use
http://moodle.org/bugs
for that aas well?

WP
In reply to W Page

by Hans de Zwart -
Hey WP,

I am not sure but I think that you can just add an entry into the glossary. Maybe somebody has to approve it, but I am quite sure that you can enter it yourself.
In reply to Hans de Zwart

by W Page -
Hi Hans,

I had submitted some words before but I do not know if they were accepted.  I will do more checking about it.

WP1