"Reference" Resources - get rid of them?

"Reference" Resources - get rid of them?

by Martin Dougiamas -
Number of replies: 11
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
A long time ago I had plans for the "Reference" resource to be a little different than it is. I was imagining that it would contain tools for searching and connecting to bibliographic databases etc

Unfortunately it hasn't developed that way and now it's looking difficult to see how it might work that way.

So currently it remains a glorified clone of the "Plain text" resource.

Does anyone object to me removing that resource type completely (and thus reducing the amount of choices) ? In an upgrade, all existing "reference" resources would simply be converted to a HTML web page resource.

If I don't hear any good objections in the next few days I'll go ahead with it.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

Re: "Reference" Resources - get rid of them?

by W Page -
Hi Martin!

When you say "was imagining that it would contain tools for searching and connecting to bibliographic databases etc ", what exactly do you mean?

Are you also saying the functions was not being used or was not completely developed?

Are you referring to how bibliographic/reference data is retrieved by some bibliographic programs like EndNote or ReferenceManager by going into special databases (free/paid) and pull in references based on search terms?

If so that is a really cool function. I did not even know it was possible in Moodle.

I am going to try to find it and check it out.

WP1
In reply to W Page

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
It's easy to find, just add a Resource and choose "Reference".  Yes, the kind of stuff you are talking about is exactly the sort of thing I thought we might do one day.  None of it is implemented though.

In the end, though, it's simpler just to cut from any source you like and paste into a HTML web page than to have a special type for resources.

by N Hansen -
I agree it would be a very complex thing to imple

Re: "Reference" Resources - gone.

by Martin Dougiamas -
I was doing a bunch of improvements to the resource module today and couldn't wait. The more I looked at the references, the more useless they looked. smile

So one executive decision later and "Reference" resources are now history. It's a slightly nostalgic moment, as they were the very first resource type I ever made. smile

If someday someone wants to work on a new resource submodule that does link up to bibliographic databases and do cool stuff then they are welcome to do so.

by W Page -
aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh, Martin!

I was in the process of writing up an idea I had for the the Resource Module.  I just checked my e-mail ana saw you have removed it.

Do you still have the code??

WP1
In reply to W Page

by Martin Dougiamas -
You have the code in your own installation. It's been in Moodle since version 1.0.  big grin

by Ger Tielemans -

Not for me, but don't university students need to make references in APA-format? (or MLA or CBE or ACW or..

Having a resource-tool where they can choose the right form/format to create that kind of resource-lists for their final work..... In that case the modul should be open for students sad

by Nicholas Cutajar -

Martin

I have created a numbr of files in the Resources and that's how they show up on the site. Now that this module will no longer be available, where would I have to place the files. The files are documents relating to the course, for example: Assumed Knoweldge, Subject overview, Outcomes, Skills Required, etc.

Resources was probably the most repository for such documents. It's sad it had to go. From which version will it disappear?

Nicholas

In reply to Nicholas Cutajar

by Gustav W Delius -

Nicholas, don't worry, all those resources will still be there. The only change is that a resource of type "Reference" will in future be treated in the same way as a resource of type "HTML page".

In reply to Gustav W Delius

by Nicholas Cutajar -

Thanks Gustav; that gives me some peace of mind.
Nicholas