Attendance mod and barcode or RFID cards.

Attendance mod and barcode or RFID cards.

by Monico Briseño -
Number of replies: 8
Picture of Testers
Hi, all. We are using attendance mod, without problem. However, our teachers ask me if our students can use a barcode or RFID cards to take attendance each class.

Somebody is working with it?

Cheers

Mónico.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Monico Briseño

Re: Attendance mod and barcode or RFID cards.

by Jason Hollowell -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Mónico,

This is an interesting idea. We are using a barcode reader to scan students ID's for various events (usually test registration & administration) on campus but haven't managed to integrate that with Moodle yet. It could work with the attendance module but the attendance screen would have to be modified to accept data input (results from the scan).

Do you have a large number of barcode readers and/or rfid readers in your application?

Jason
In reply to Jason Hollowell

by umesh chavan -
hello everyone,

i have asked already this q in earlier forum of attendance sessions by hr....

we have already in palce the RFID card reader and 600 cards in use and the related software is in oracle database and vb...and it has got so many issues...so if someone will give a try for integrating the RFID or BARCODE identity cards it will be better to manage....

even if we can take a print out for a students id card?....

is there any idea of putting leave managment tool attached to attendanceso that it is better to manage for employees attaendance and leaves.

umesh
In reply to umesh chavan

by Barry Oosthuizen -
I posted about a scanning solution some time ago, but I'm very new to web programming...

If you have something that works it should be possible to import it into the attendance module.

Regarding a leave management tool for employees: I think TimeTrex might be able to cater for that. Not sure if/how it will work for student attendance though.

Is anyone using Open Source software for letting students scan in/out?

In reply to Jason Hollowell

by Monico Briseño -
Picture of Testers
Hi, Jason. No, I don't have any barcode readers neither rfid readers, yet. Because, the manager of my school wants to apply any of them with attendance mod next year. Therefore, I want to share this proposal here.

Cheers

In reply to Monico Briseño

by mariah lewis -

use the particular system

Add 1D and 2D barcodes to the cards or encode smart cards. Link smart cards with library, cafeteria and other key transactional systems on the campus. Link student ID cards with physical access control system.

In reply to mariah lewis

by Matt Gorecki -

I've built a prototype RFID entry system for our classroom/coworking space using Rasbperry Pis.  I hadn't thought of doing attendance with those cards.

In reply to Matt Gorecki

by Jan Zilka -

Hello Matt, would you share the Raspberry PI details ?

Are you running some kind of service to process incomming RFID readings?