reminder that you are changing themes on the server, not locally

reminder that you are changing themes on the server, not locally

by tony chesney -
Number of replies: 3

Hi

A number of our team have Administrator role although months can go by where they don't interact with moodle at all.

A few weeks ago, I went to Site Administration -> Appearance -> Themes -> Theme Selector and chose a new theme thinking that, as with theme / skin selectors on most websites, I was only changing how *I* saw our moodle install. 

Of course everybody else quickly noticed the change across all moodle pages on their machines, and I felt rather foolish.

Now someone else did the same thing, and I feel less foolish.  Would it be an idea to have a Warning on Theme Selector when accessed from Site Administration saying "Look out, you're changing a setting on the server which will affect how all users see your moodle install" ?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to tony chesney

Re: reminder that you are changing themes on the server, not locally

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
1- There should be as few people with admin role as possible on any Moodle site, ideally only one or two.
2- It should be pretty obvious to anyone with admin role that any action they do on the Site Administration page will affect the whole site.
Hence, I do not see the need for an extra warning there.
Joseph
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by tony chesney -

Fair enough.

But that means we don't need the Site Admin -> Users -> Permissions -> Assign global roles warning: "WARNING! Any roles you assign from this page will apply to the assigned users throughout the entire site, including the front page and all the courses."

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Robert Richmond -
"It should be pretty obvious to anyone with admin role that any action they do on the Site Administration page will affect the whole site."

-- For those who are new to moodle...it isn't obvious at all. I know. I did the same thing and thought a warning might be good as well....

At least it is only in a trial phase...so it didn't really affect anyone....