HMTL editor not working

HMTL editor not working

de Juan Manuel Campos Leal -
Número de respuestas: 16

Hi there! I have just installed Modle 1.9.2 and the html editor doesn't appear anywhere. Any idea?

Promedio de valoraciones: -
En respuesta a Juan Manuel Campos Leal

Re: HMTL editor not working

de ETH Zürich -

check browser's javascript is enabled or not. also delete tempral intenert files (history) and cookies, and all temporal files. then try again. check also the firewall or anivirus if it blocks javascript or so.

try a different browser if didnt work out on the first browser.

En respuesta a ETH Zürich

de Juan Manuel Campos Leal -

Thank you both but it doesn't work. I attach the mistake

de John White -
Juan,

I wonder it there is a bug in the HTML editor with your build of 1.9.2?
Is it worth trying the latest build?

I have noticed that some problems similar to those you described had previously been reported at www.htmlarea.com
There could also be an issue if Javascript was disabled in the browser.

You may also want to put up a post in the HTML Editor forum.

I hope this will help.

John

de John White -
Juan,

Do all that Amr suggests, AND enable pop-ups from your site (I have certainly had the full-size editor, at least, blocked this way).

John

de Braxton Ponder -
I've had a similar problem with a new install of 1.9.2, and it continues with a more recent weekly updgrade (20081008). I posted the problem to the HTML forum but got no response.

When editing various resources in a course, or trying to post to a forum, the html editor will frequently fail to display the wysiwyg components - i.e. it seems to be in code mode, with no editing buttons at the top of the text area, and no formatted display of the text. HTML codes do display correctly in the text area, and it is usable as a plain text editor, but few of my users are going to know html code.

Often I can get the full editor to display by saving the resource and immediately clicking the edit button again (but not always). Sometimes reloading the page in the browser works - in fact I can sometimes toggle the html features on and off by reloading repeatedly. Some pages, however, such as the post to a forum, are nearly impossible to get into html mode.

I'm running moodle 1.9.2 (20080711) hosted on a shared linux server (godaddy).

I've tested running under both PHP4 and 5 with no change.

I've tested with the latest available versions of IE and Firefox with the same results.

I'm mostly on a Vista Home Premium (SP1) machine, but have also tested from a Win XP machine with similar results (same two browsers).

Also, the editor shortcut keys (the icon for which shows up whether the editor is in html mode or not) seem to be pretty useless: most of the keys are already in use by the browser or window, causing unexpected results when using. Perhaps there's a way to remove the icon/pop-up help menu?

En respuesta a Braxton Ponder

de Ron Meske -
Imagen de Particularly helpful Moodlers
This may be a long shot but check your php.ini file for zlib.output_compression. Make sure it is set to off. Moodle is not compatible with this.

En respuesta a Ron Meske

de John White -
Ron,

Yet another factor - however obscure - that needs checking! sad

Juan,

I have also noted a thread in the HTML Editor forum that is worth checking through. Which also points to php.ini or at least .htaccess
...whether the post I have added there helps or clouds the issue I don't know...

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=94059#p476272

Regards,

John
En respuesta a John White

de Jon Penn -
Am an educator troubleshooting this same issue... hosting by godaddy, no html editor sometimes, and when html editor shows- and images that I try to upload and preview are not shown.

Also checked that my php is 5 on Apache 2... My database is MSQL 5 also.

I read this above: :"check your php.ini file for zlib.output_compression."

My php.ini does not have any line indicating anything like this...

My version of 1.9.2 was installed via Godaddy's auto install applications... could the build be messed up?

If you find a fix please post it here... I would greatly appreciate it,a s would other that are battling this issue.

Thanks,

Jon Penn
En respuesta a Jon Penn

de Ron Meske -
Imagen de Particularly helpful Moodlers
At this point you may want to contact Godaddy and ask if they have compression turned on. Godaddy could have zlip.output_compression turned on in elsewhere or they are using a different type of comression. Please see this article for more information http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mod_deflate.html.

We had many page loading problems with various PHP applications, not just Moodle, when compression was enabled on the server. A page would not finish loading, sometimes with no error, but after doing a refresh, the page would load. II was the worst, and Firefox would occasionaly have problems.

This may be completely unrelated but worth checking into.

En respuesta a Ron Meske

de Braxton Ponder -
OK, I did contact GoDaddy support. They replied that they do not use compression filters on their Apache servers.

They also said they couldn't replicate the problem, but I assume they were testing one of their own installations, as I don't think they could have gotten to an html editor page on my site.

So... that leads me to a couple other questions:

1. Do any of the developers follow this forum, and how could we best address this as a possible coding bug/incompatibitlity?

2. Do we have any moodle users running 1.9.2+ on shared linux godaddy servers who are NOT having this problem?

3. Can someone suggest a shared linux hosting server company who is running these latest versions of moodle problem free?

4. Could I possibly substitute a different html editor (e.g. tinyMCE) and see if that solves the problem?

I've put a lot of time into working with a variety of LMSs - Moodle seems a great choice. But if users can't reliably use the html editor, it's going to be a show stopper.

By the way, as I've mentioned in an earlier post, I've tested 1.9.2 and 1.9.3 on a shared linux godaddy server usuing PHP4 and PHP5, mySQL 5 with the same results. I've tested on the client side with 3 machines: 2 were WXP and 1 is a Vista, all running latest vers of Firefox and IE. All with the same results.

I can get the html editor to appear with repeated reloading of a page - or sometimes having to save the page then try again to edit. I believe it has happened in every instance where an html editor should display, but seems hardest to get into proper wysiwyg mode when posting a new forum post: I usually have to enter some text to creat the post, then re-edit it to get the html properly displayed.

Sigh...

de Jon Penn -
I just contacted godaddy and they said that thye do have zlib compression turned on for all their servers. And it is not an option to turn it off. But I have also read recent articles from 2008 in this forum about moodle running under servers using thsi compression http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=101156

I am about to abandon godaddy and try how the quick install moodle from bluehost runs. It is a better rated hosting site.

En respuesta a Jon Penn

de Braxton Ponder -
Interesting that we got 2 different answers about compression on GoDaddy filters. When I followed up, I got a moronic brush-off about how it must be my browser causing the problem.

According to my phpinfo.php:
- Registered PHP Streams include compress.zlib
However, it also reports that:
- zlib.output_compression is off (Master and local settings).

Are these two different aspects of the compression? Or perhaps the software is installed but not "on?"

Anyway, BlueHost is starting to look good, although I dread the thought of migrating numerous mySQL-based programs and domain names.

Could anyone add to Michael's positive experience with BlueHost -specifically with the latest vers of Moodle?

de Pablo A Pico -

It's been a while but i have the same problem now
Moodle 1.9 (up to date 1.19.16+) running in godaddy 

The problem: Editor not loading sometimes.

Details: The Editor tends to show up on first load. If page is refreshed Editor disappears. 

It is not a javascript problem. The php script (htmlarea.php) does not show up on Google Chrome Developer Tools (Script sections)

When using Firefox, when the editor does not show up, (using firebug) the htmlarea.php is shown sometimes in the script list , however the code is truncated somewhere around line 1844 "getMozSelection". Most of the time "/lib/editor/htmlarea/htmlarea.php" is not loaded but strangely the language script "/lib/editor/htmlarea/lang/en.php?id=1" is.

Have you guys found anything new on this issue?