General help

Me at work in My Studio
Separate Group View issues

Hi,
I've posted an almost similar issue on the General Problem forum.

I have a course set to Separate Groups and students must be in a group to access the course.
Each of the Activitiies is als o set the the same.

I have two Non Editing Teachers...renamed Team Leaders in a the group.

I wanted them to only be able to view the gradebook of that Group.

One of the Team Leaders does see only the group Grades with "Separate Groups: Group A at the top.

The other Team Leader can see ALL participants of all groups, even though their view shows Separate Groups: Group A at the top.

When that Team leader clicks the Participant link, they see all participants, but hitting the F5 refresh then chages to that group data only.

Any idea why one Team leader role acts correctly and the other doesn't?

cheers

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Ann Adamcik
Re: Separate Group View issues
Group Developers
Does the team leader who sees everyone have some role at a higher level?

Me at work in My Studio

Hi
No, All of the Team leaders in this course are only present in this course and no where else in moodle.

They have only one role of Non Editing Teacher (Team Leader). This is why I am baffled, as only one Team Leader, the non existant one that I created, actually does see only their group in the Gradebook, it has exactly the same role, and is nowhere else. All of the others when viewing the grades see all the partipants. When they click partipants, they see all the participants, hitting F5 refreshes the page and correctly displays only the Group members.

The page says Seperate Groups: Group A correctly though.

Me at work in My Studio

I think it is a Gradebook issue as Team leaders can view just theirt groups correctly when viewong Participants. It's only when they go to view the Grade book that they see all users and not just the group

Picture of Jonathan Harker

Hi Darren,
I will be fixing this for a client, and hope to post something more useful later today or tomorrow.
Cheers,
Jonathan

Picture of Tracy Young

Johnathan - did you have any success? I am having the exact same issue!

Picture of Jonathan Harker

Turns out that the client didn't have the groups set up correctly and groupmode set to separate.
Pebsak error smile

Picture of Tracy Young

I have 8 groups, and a nonediting teacher assigned to each. (states)

I have set "access all groups" to prevent for the role definition.

I have the course set to seperate groups.

What's my pebsak error?  wink

The result I want is for each state training admin to only see their own state's students !!

Picture of Daniel Jann

Hi,

I have the same problem:

We offer our courses to several companies and isolate them by having their users in separate groups. They each have one or more non-editing teachers reviewing their grades.

In the participants view, they only see their users. That's exactly what we want. But in the grades view, they see all users from every company. That's a very critical issue since privacy is totally broken !

I thought maybe it could be a configuration problem, but I haven't found yet where to set the right parameters...

Picture of Daniel Jann

Ok, I have created a patch to address that issue. I put it here in case someone encounters the same problem.

The patch applies to Moodle 1.9, release 1.9.3+ (Build: 20081112) as found in file version.php in moodle's root directory

in the file grade/report/grader/lib.php, on line 139 and following, you have the code:

// Setup groups if requested
 if ($this->get_pref('showgroups')) {
 $this->setup_groups();
 }
Replace it with this code:

// Setup groups if requested or forced
 if (
 $this->get_pref('showgroups')
 ||
 (
 $this->course->groupmode==SEPARATEGROUPS
 &&
 !has_capability('moodle/site:accessallgroups',$this->context)
 )
 ) {
 $this->setup_groups();
 }

Picture of Dakota Duff

"In the participants view, they only see their users. That's exactly what we want. But in the grades view, they see all users from every company."

You need to turn on (check) Site Administration -> Grades -> Report Settings -> Grader Report -> Show Groups. You may also need to set their role so that they cannot access all groups, but if the Participants area is working the way you want this is probably already taken care of.

Unfortunately, this will only fix the Grader Report. The User Report will still allow them to access all course members — but it sounds like this will be fixed soon. If you'd care to vote on the issue, it can be found here in the tracker.

Picture of Melanie Scott

Show groups, as in, turn the default no off?

I've had these same issues, well, forever. My solution was to turn the student view for grade book off, assign non-editing teachers to their groups and assign the students non-editing teachers in their profiles. That just sounds psychotic, I know, but it appears to work, generally, but no one gets to see the grade book except the teacher--that is the way they set it up for parents to view their child's stuff in some areas.

We just turned on the e-mail notification for quiz submission, since so many people complained that they couldn't tell if the system "got" their quiz. That said, one of my participants just scored one of her tests. She got the e-mail, which I expected and was happy with. Unfortunately, 2-6 other people also got the e-mail, which included a link to look at her quiz and scores. I wasn't happy with that. The only thing we found that connected them is they shared a separate group in the course.

Anyone else have that problem? OR a solution?!?

Picture of Website Designer

Hello I am having the same issue but with SCORM results. I was thinking I would just have to set up 2 groups and assign a teacher to each one so that teachers could only view the results of people in their group but when they log in they can see the result from everyone. Is there a work-around for this? I'm not using gradebook I'm just using the "view results from 2 attempts" the inbuilt scorm reports.