Restricting Enrollment

Restricting Enrollment

by Paul Kores -
Number of replies: 2
How do I prevent people from creating profiles on my site?

My courses are up and running, and the students are all self registered. At this point I would like only students who are registered in existing courses to gain access to the site.

The problem I'm having is the login page is displaying the message "Is this your first time here". People can use this to create an account, and after receiving an email confirmation, create a profile and then upload crap (and I do mean that literally) into their profile. They can't get into the actual courses because they don't have the enrollment keys, but they can still leave junk in the profile they create.

I've tried setting "Enrollment Authentication" to manual only, but then I exclude my legitimate users.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Paul Kores

Re: Restricting Enrollment

by Michael Penney -
Leave Self registration enabled and on the authentication page (for example: http://demo.moodle.org/admin/settings.php?section=manageauths), scroll down to the Common Settings box, and choose "Disable" for self-registration.

As the screen there says:
"If an authentication plugin, such as email-based self-registration, is selected, then it enables potential users to register themselves and create accounts. This results in the possibility of spammers creating accounts in order to use forum posts, blog entries etc. for spam. To avoid this risk, self-registration should be disabled or limited by Allowed email domains setting."
In reply to Michael Penney

Re: Restricting Enrollment

by Paul Kores -
Michael

Thank you for the quick fix. I guess my problem was that I hide Self Registration and disabled it under the common settings.

58 emails letter from frantic users I got it sorted out. Its hard to tinker with a course once its up and running.

PK