custom content authoring price benchmarks

Re: custom content authoring price benchmarks

by Ron Meske -
Number of replies: 0
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Hi Bryan,

I have been involved in developing custom corporate training for more years than I would like to admit and still find it amazing that anyone can give an easy answer to this. I know that price benchmarks would be helpful to determine your budget or to determine if it should be done in-house or go to a third-party. However, there is so much more to consider then just interactivty level that I would question the validity of any price range.

Here are many of the items we consider when working with a client to price their project:
  • Availability of content - Is it already documented or do we need to interview SMEs
  • Complexity of content
  • Type of skills trained - soft to technical
  • Level of interactivity
  • Level of creativity - presentational to story line
  • Purpose - reference or mastery
  • Delivery method
  • Support materials required
  • Development time frame
  • Review process
  • Template layout or custom per screen
  • Audio and/or Video requirements
  • Type of images - stock, professional photos, illustrations, 3D, animations
  • Professional a/v talent or employees
  • Technology requirements
  • Development tools imposed
  • etcetera
My point is that to just put a price range on training development based on level of interactivity isn't realistic. We have developed an hour's worth of custom training for as little as about 10K to over 100K.

We have found that even so-called conversion can vary drastically. Many times a course that worked as an ILT will not be effective as a WBT and needs to be redesigned. In this case it depends on the outcome expected from the training. If the goal is to just get information out, then it can usually be done at a low cost. However, if the goal is to improve performance or change attitudes then the cost can be much higher.

For example, we had a client bring us an existing PowerPoint that included extensive speaker notes and wanted it to be converted to a WBT, using the existing slides for the visual and speaker notes for narration. After reviewing it we suggested that with some additional effort it would be more effective. The client turned this down as the existing class was well received. We converted it for under 10K. After 3 months, the client came back and said it was a flop. We explained that the reason it was so good as an ILT was the dynamics of the presenter not the content.

My recommendation is to first clearly define your goal for the training and then determine your budget. Once you have done that, consider the items I have listed and put together your requirements and wish list. Then contact different vendors with your list and goal. Have them give you a quote not just on price but also on how well their design matches your list and how they will guarantee your goal being achieved. Most importantly, check references.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)