Bounced forum emails - unrouteable mail domain

Bounced forum emails - unrouteable mail domain

by Chris Mawson -
Number of replies: 11

Hi

When posting to a forum we are getting a number of bounced emails (but not all) from those subscribed.

I can't see any pattern, it is not limited to just one domain or even all email adresses in one domain.

The standard error message is of the form:

jennymorrissy@hotmail.com

unrouteable mail domain "hotmail.com"

This may not be a moodle specific issue but thought I would ask anyway.

Thanks

Chris

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Chris Mawson

Re: Bounced forum emails - unrouteable mail domain

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
It's an issue with the machine sending your mail (either the same one you have Moodle on or otherwise the one you specified in your SMTP settings).
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by W Page -
Hi All,

I believe I received one from the same e-mail address either yesterday or the day before.  I could not find anyone with that e-mail address in the fourm the e-mail bounced from.

I deleted it and did not open the attachment that came with it.

WP1
In reply to W Page

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
In that case it was probably a spam email with fake headers (generated by viruses) and nothing to do with Moodle.

by W Page -
Hi Martin!

I think your right on that one.

WP1

by Chris Mawson -

My original post was in regard to a moodle install/forum on another server, not those on moodle.org. Thus this post by W Page is another issue.

Thanks Martin.

In reply to Chris Mawson

by W Page -
Hello!

This is very interesting.  Why the same bounced e-mail address.  thoughtful

Is it something with HotMail???

WP1
In reply to W Page

by Jeff Wood -

Kids with full mailboxes?!

Had this issue last semester... just "hid" their email addresses so no mail would be sent to them.

Jeff

In reply to Chris Mawson

by John Hobson -

Hi

I am having the same issue with one user only on my pilot site.  Did you ever resolve this?

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

Regards

John

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

***mat.a****ov@***onga.kz

unrouteable mail domain "***onga.kz"

(*s to protect the innocent)

In reply to John Hobson

by Martin Dougiamas -
The email address is probably just invalid.  Can't send mail to an address that doesn't really exist.

by John Hobson -

Hi Martin

That would be logical except....

The e-mail address does exist - I confirmed it by getting a reply today from an e-mail sent via Outlook.

Any other ideas?

regards

John

In reply to Chris Mawson

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
The message implies that the server does not know how to find the mail server(s) that deal with hotmail.com. There are a number of possible causes for this, but they are all DNS problems or network connectivity issues. You need to ask your mail administrator (for the your server, or for the SMTP server you specified) to have a look at this one. The mail logs may be more helpful.