How do I upload Hot pot Jcloze files in html to my moodle course

How do I upload Hot pot Jcloze files in html to my moodle course

by Richard Palmer -
Number of replies: 8
Hi

I have a number of Hot Pot JCloze quiz files which I copied from their original source as html files. ie by right clicking - viewing page source - and saving as html file. What I would now like to do is get these files uploaded to my moodle course. I would be most grateful to learn how I can do this?

Many thanks moodle novice
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Richard Palmer

Re: How do I upload Hot pot Jcloze files in html to my moodle course

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Well I presume, though I havent' tried, that you would upload in the same way as you would a regular Hot Potatoes file that you'd made, ie, go to add an activity, hot potatoes and insert there. If you can't see the Hot Potatoes quiz option then it's hidden in the siteadmin>modules>manage activities and you need to open its eye. However, I do question the ethics of copying someone else's original files without asking their permission...??
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Richard,
thanks for clarifying on the other thread that you intend to get the requisite permission to use the materials.

Let us know how you get on after following Mary's advice on adding the Hot Potatoes exercises to your Moodle course.

cheers
Gordon
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Richard Palmer -

Ms Cooch

I've just picked upon your reply to an old posting I made. As an author and College Lecturer for some 30yrs I am well aware of the ethics relating to internet and Moodle activity thankyou. And any other teaching related activity for that matter! I do not need you or any other patronising individual to question my ethics regarding the copying of someone else's material. Please don't assume that the majority of Moodlers are unethical and reserve any advice, you eagerly wish to make, in that regard, for your 7 - 14 yr olds! 

by James Greenwood -
That's some old fashioned Saturday morning arsiness, that is.

If you have to use the "download as webpage" method you described, it suggests you didn't upload it in the first place, which suggests you didn't create it.

Mary's contributions, both on Moodle.org and Twitter have helped me and many others. Coming to this conversation there's only one contributor I'd label as patronising, and it isn't Mary.

Reserve your self-important indignation for your doubtless riveted 18-80 year old students and readers.

Much love.

by Stephan Rinke -
Hi there!

I think a simple "of course I would never take someone elses work without their permission, but thanks for your advice" would have sufficed and also been more fitting for a well-educated college lecturer with manners.

Best regards,

Stephan

(also university lecturer amongst lots of other things)
Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by Mark Clarkson -
I don't want to turn this into a witch hunt, but given the helpfulness Mary has shown over a prolonged period to a vast array of people, your answer was at best ill-considered and at worst extremely offensive.

There was no suggestion that the majority of Moodlers are unethical, and as an author and college lecturer I'm sure you would feel suitably aggrieved if someone went around stealing your work without permission. As such, regardless of the legality on this occasion, it is always worth mentioning ethics when the licensing of content is not clear.
Average of ratings: Useful (5)

by Adrian Taylor -
It never ceases to amaze me just how rude people can be when given the opportunity to express themselves freely and "in absentia" through internet fora (or forums, you decide).

I can understand being a little bit upset by Mary questioning the ethics of copying someone else's material, however, she's right, if you were simply copying someone else's stuff then you were in the wrong. However, a simple, yes, that's quite right, but I'm not stealing someone else's work would have sufficed. The level of indignation, rudeness, and bile implies to me that there is merit in the very politely worded and gentle accusation that was made.

Time to apologise, I think, not least for the implied "I'm better than you because I teach college kids rather than 7-14 year olds" snobbery.
In reply to Adrian Taylor

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Richard,

> I copied from their original source as html files.
> ie by right clicking - viewing page source - and saving as html file

I agree with others that this explanation implies the files were not yours and you had not sought permission to get hold them. If you were the owner you would have the original files, and if you had asked the owner, you would probably have been sent the original files.

Having read your initial post, I too was left wondering whether or not you had obtained permission to use the files, Your message was not explicit in this regard. It seems I was not alone in thinking that maybe you had not observed the rules of netiquette.

However, my mind was put at rest when you stated clearly on another thread, one hour after your original post on this thread, that you had "first obtained the requisite permissions". When I found that out, I added a note to this thread to make it clear to everybody that you had permission.

There was no misunderstanding about your ethics, and that should have been the end of that ...

.. but now you have said some very impolite things in a very public place about someone who has helped and supported many Moodle users and is held in high regard on these forums.

For these reasons, I feel your vitriolic reaction to a message written 8-months ago is unwarranted and excessive. I hope you can find a way to make your contributions to Moodle more positive and supportive.

Gordon
Average of ratings: Useful (3)