Website Hosting Service

Website Hosting Service

by Paul Alexander -
Number of replies: 13

Hi everyone,

I'm seeking advice on the following problem. I recently purchased a webmaster membership with Tripod-Lycos to set up my personal website from which I could run the Moodle CMS application. Unfortunately, after several failed attempts at uploading Moodle to my website, I discover that website hosting service does not support php. It looks like I'm going to cancel my membership with Tripod.  As I'm living in Asia, could anyone advise me on an English-based website hosting service that has the capability of executing php scripts on a web server and to run a mySQL database please?

Cheers, Paul

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Paul Alexander

Re: Website Hosting Service

by Sunyee W -

Hi Paul,

That's easy!  I run PHP forums all the time.  I currently use insiderhosting.com.

They're located in California and they have great service.  It might cost a little more than Tripod, but it's worth the investment especially if you are planning to have your site grow.

Glad to see another person attempting PHP databasing!

Sunyee smile

by richard guy -
Hi Paul,

I am creating a portal for teachers like yourself and can host your course for free. Visit www. etutorjapan.com or send me a mail if you are interested.

Richard

by Sean S -
I'm living in Korea but using an American hosting company based out of LA. I'm sure you cannot go wrong if you use POWWEB; it's affordable, support is incredible, and you get unlimited subdomains, 1gb of storage, 5gb of transfer per day, 5 mysql databases, and the best support forum on the web. All this and more for only $7.77 a month.

I installed moodle on my account with no problems.
In reply to Sean S

by Paul Alexander -

Hi Blinger Man,

Great avatar! I see we have a lot in common - Seoul, teaching ESL in a university, Moodle.  If you have a moment, give me a shout at paulalex@mac.com .  I'd like to ask you a few questions please; perhaps we can help one another out. 

Cheers, Paul

by Sean S -
Glad you chose powweb Paul. I actually got one of my friends to sign up there yesterday and I will be helping him set up moodle this weekend.

Anyone who wants a great host should check out POWWEB: The ultimate Hosting solution.
In reply to Sean S

by Hans de Zwart -
Hello Blingerman/The Linguist,

Whenever I see a link that has a referer id to it I always think: Is this guy really giving me advice to go there because it is good or does he want me to click because he could earn some money as the referer?
Usually I decide to be cautious and default to the second option.

I do not like these associate marketing plans. In fact I do not like marketing very much. In the end it is the customer who pays for it.

How do you know powweb is the "ultimate hosting solution"? A statement like "I use Powweb and it works very well for my Moodle" would sell much better to me.

Maybe I have it all wrong and am too weary....
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Hans de Zwart

by Sean S -
Hans,

You points are all valid, but I used to deal with ipowerweb and I also recommended them to a couple of friends until about 4 months into my contract and I started to feel a lot of restrictions in what I could and could not do.

I have switched to powweb and never experienced any disatisifaction. The support is 100x better than my previous host and there are almost no restrictions in what I can do. I did not sign up with them because of the referrer program, though that is a nice benefit.

Anyhow, for the price I cannot find a better deal any where else. If you don't like referrer id's then you can always clear your cookies and visit powweb via a direct link and nobody gets a kickback.
In reply to Sean S

by Hans de Zwart -
Anyway, I am glad that you have found a host that works very well for you. smile

By the way, do all functions in Moodle work with Powweb? I am especially interested in backup and restore. Does it work?
In reply to Hans de Zwart

by Sean S -
Hans,

It apears to work. Yesterday I got an email from my moodle stating that the automatic backup had finished without a hitch. Additionally I created my first course, added content and then backed it up. Following that I restored it 4 times so that I can have the same content with 5 different classes. 

Everything is in working order and only 11 days till I start teaching (August 30th).

Later next week I will be installing moodle for a friend on POWWEB and am expecting it to be trouble free.
In reply to Sean S

by Madan Kumaraswamy -
Hello Linguist.
I am using powweb to host my site. Can you tell me any resource that gives me a walkthrough of moodle installation in powweb?  Is the installation same as in a localhost server, or is there any specific requirement from powweb?
Thank you
Madan

by Erlyn Baack -
Hi Paul,

Three or four years ago I had a simple site at pair.com with no cgi script capabilities.  A switch to cgi at pair would have cost over $300 USD at the time, so I went with iPowerWeb, http://ipowerweb.com, at $95 USD per year including free domain name.  I admit at the time I didn't have a lot of confidence in this unknown, but I thought it would be a great place to learn to install simple cgi scripts, and for $95 dollars, it would be well worth it.

As it turned out, I like iPowerWeb a lot.  It has MySQL and PHP capabilities, runs cron jobs, in short it worked fine for the two classes I taught, about 30 users each with about 30 maximum all online at the same time. 

iPowerWeb is one of the "cheap" hosts available these days.  My recommendation would be to find one that meets your technical needs and stick with it, working through questions/problems with the host providers rather than skipping around from host to host.

Good luck!

Erlyn Baack

In reply to Erlyn Baack

by Paul Alexander -

Hi everyone,

What a great group! I appreciate everyone's advice; I checked out all your suggestions (all hosting plans were very good) and decided that PowWeb was the right one for me.  Thanks again.

Cheers, Paul