wanting to put moodle on my website. I have no CLUE

wanting to put moodle on my website. I have no CLUE

by Peter Hardie -
Number of replies: 12
ok, so i have a domain name, i have the desire to put moodle onto it. But i have no idea.
I have downloaded moodle onto my laptop. i don't understand what PHP, or anything. i use dreamweaver for the website, but that means nothing. Please can someone help me. I don't understand anything anyone writes so it needs to be basic.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Peter Hardie

Re: wanting to put moodle on my website. I have no CLUE

by Jim Coe -

Although I'm a webmaster and web developer and have used several PHP programs in the past, I decided to buy and download the "Moodle 1.9 e-learning course development" PDF ebook ($30.59 US$) from Packt publishing.

http://www.packtpub.com/learning-moodle-1-9-course-development/book

It goes into great detail on all aspects of Moodle, including installation and the author does not assume you know squat. I recommend you use it as a guide.

Besides a domain name, you need a web hosting service (you rent space for your web site on their web servers, so you don't have to know how to setup and maintain your own web server - I recommend APlus.net) which supports the very popular MySQL web database and the newest versions of the PHP programming language. Read what the book says about deciding on your hosting requirements, before signing up for an account - the hosting service sales people can help you decide, when you tell them what you've learned from the book.

PHP is simply a programming language that people use to create many great web site tools, like slide shows, image galleries, membership management programs and anything else one can imagine - even learning environments.

These PHP programs can be easily "plugged into" any web site - to do things that web sites were not originally designed to do. They are a true boon to mankind and Moodle seems to me, so far, to be one of the best ever PHP programs

HTH (newbie translation: Hope This Helps)

_jc

In reply to Peter Hardie

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Peter - you have a domain name? Do you have a webhosting company to host your domainname? Your first port of call should be them to see if they will install moodle for you - some good hosts do- to save you the effort. If not, get back to us and I will give you simple instructions - I managed to do it and I don't know about php etc either.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Peter Hardie -

Telivo are hosting. 

I have also database ability on account, MySQL or something.  I believe i need that.  I don't know what any of it means.

Thanks

In reply to Peter Hardie

This forum post has been removed

The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
In reply to Deleted user

by Peter Hardie -

i have created a Mysql database, i know how to acess the admin page for it, but that looks v scarey.

Yes i use FTP via dreamweaver.  I also have filezilla installed on laptop.  if that makes it easier

In reply to Peter Hardie

In reply to Deleted user

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
He's right! If I can do it, so can you smile I know nothing about mysql either but I just followed the documentation and people's instructions.
In reply to Deleted user

by Peter Hardie -

Hi Alan and thanks for the reply.

I have put the unzipped Moodle files in a directory on my server (i.e. via filezilla onto a folder in my domain directory called Moodle).

They are still unzipped.

Wondering what comes next.  Am i meant to unzip them, then run the xampp program.   AGH

Pete

In reply to Peter Hardie

In reply to Deleted user

by Peter Hardie -

So i've placed unzipped files on website.  I use a provider, 'telivio'  the domain i use is phardie.info   It already has stuff on for school, but willing for everything to change over to Moodle.

Onprovider site i now have a folder called Moodle, and in that folder are the following.

Folder called server

Readme.txt

and two prograams; Start Moodle.exe and Stop Moodle.exe.

So what NOW

In reply to Peter Hardie

In reply to Peter Hardie

by Just H -
Hi Peter

It's all in the docs, read through and you shouldn't have a problem.

Regards
H