Allowing students to view each other's submissions

Allowing students to view each other's submissions

by Gabe Morris -
Number of replies: 8
I'm new to Moodle so apologies is this is frequently asked and answered.

Is there any way to allow students to view each other's submissions to the "upload a single file" assignment type?

If not, is the only method possible within Moodle that supports this functionality (students upload files and view each other's files) a forum? Or is there another way?

thanks!
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gabe Morris

Re: Allowing students to view each other's submissions

by Frederick Bingham -
I need to do the same thing. Did you get any help with this? Fred
In reply to Frederick Bingham

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi there. Not with the assignments, no, but if you get them to upload their work either as an attachment to a forum or in a database (or even workshop though that's complex to begin with) it does the same job -students can see each others' submissions.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Kristin Darken -
Isn't this possible now in assignments now that Moodle 1.9 has expanded role capabilities? I have not tested this yet - and we had previously been using forums as a way for students to be able to view each other's assignments - but I had assumed that Moodle 1.9 would provide the capability in any kind of assignment if you override the permissions for students in that activity.

One limitation we have found in using forums for assignment sharing is that grading is limited to the rating scale and no private feedback from an instructor can be provided to the students.
In reply to Kristin Darken

by Mike Smith -

Hi Kristin,

I tried over-riding the permissions for students in assignments in Moodle 1.93+, in order that they could view each other's work. I couldn't get it working, although I'd be interested if someone could describe how. Also, I wonder if in doing so successfully a teacher could then still give private comments/feedback to a student. Certainly not being able to give private feedback in a forum is a limitation, I agree. Another problem is limited control over the ordering of new discussion roots in a forum. However, it still seems to us to be the easiest solution to work sharing that we have found.

Mike Smith,
Brisbane, Australia

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Frederick Bingham -
Thanks. I think I figured out the forum work-around. I hadn't tried or thought of the database angle. Fred
In reply to Gabe Morris

by Mike Smith -

Hi Gabe,

We have the same need and use forums for this. Attachments are possible and email alerts are easy to manage as indicators of when posts are added. The groups and groupings capability of Moodle can also be readily applied to forums (I haven't really tried databases for this but wikis work fine). Forum threads can also be split off and moved to another forum, although I haven't found a way of grafting a forum thread onto a point in another forum thread (either in the same or a different forum), which would be really useful. Another reason we chose forums is that the Nanogong HTMLarea filter works, thereby allowing audio submissions, whereas it doesn't seem to work in wikis (again I haven't tried databases). A Nanogong-enabled forum gives you much the same functionality as a Gong or Wimba voice-board (but is free!). This has allowed us to move away from Voicethread for speaking assignments and tasks in English language teaching. In these activities it is very useful for students to see each other's posts. In forums they can easily have threaded conversations in response to a teacher stimulus. Finally, forum posts (each one) can be graded as part of a student's overall assessment.

Cheers,
Mike Smith
Brisbane, Australia
In reply to Mike Smith

Ang: Re: Allowing students to view each other's submissions

by Bente Olsen -
Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
When we want students to view each others submissions we use 'offline activity' assignments. We ask the students to post their work in a forum and give private feedback in the assignment.