Gradebook spreadsheet not showing student names

Gradebook spreadsheet not showing student names

by Gina Pixler -
Number of replies: 10
I love the gradebook spreadsheet, however, the more assignments I add the seperation from student name and grade entry grows so that I don't know who I am entereing a grade for. Is there a way to manipulate this as done in excel by freezing name column so we know who we are applying grade to at all times?
In reply to Gina Pixler

Re: Gradebook spreadsheet not showing student names

by Frederic Nevers -
Hi Gina,

I have had the same problem as you so I came up with a "workaround" which only works in Internet Explorer: rotate the names of assignments by 90 degrees to allow names of assignments to display "vertically".

Please refer to this post: http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=107153 to get the file required for the workaround.

I am not aware of a "freeze pane" functionality as in Excel. It would be very useful though.

Like I said, the workaround is Internet Explorer only but I'm working on a solution which is cross browser (dynamic text changed into images) and I will, hopefully, release it soon.

Cheers,
Fred
In reply to Gina Pixler

by Itamar Tzadok -
How about grouping assignments in categories? So when you are entering grades for a certain assignment all categories can be collapsed except for the one in which that assignment resides and if the number of assignments per category is reasonably small you should have no problem seeing the names. If the assignments do not naturally divide to categories, the categories can be arbitrary serving only the purpose of entering grades effectively. smile
In reply to Itamar Tzadok

by Gina Pixler -
This sounds like it might work... Can you direct me how to colapse categories?
In reply to Gina Pixler

by Itamar Tzadok -
That should be straightforward. In the grader report the categories are displayed with toggle buttons which allow you to switch between full, aggregates only, and grades only views. The collapsed one is the aggregates only. You can also set the 'aggregates only' view to be your default in the "My report preferences" tab. smile
In reply to Gina Pixler

by Itamar Tzadok -
I just wanted to add that perhaps the most obvious way to have what you want is to enter the grades in Excel worksheet where you can freeze and unfreeze panes and do all sorts of other stuff and then simply import the grades to the Moodle gradebook. smile
In reply to Itamar Tzadok

by Brian Pool -
Not really a good idea I think. When I am busy trying to convince all my teachers to use the Moodle gradebook as the preferred method, asking them to do two more steps (Excel + Upload) will be their answer of why it is not.

Moodle needs to be the only/best/easiest way for a teacher to do grades or it won't be done there. I want all my teachers to be interacting online, not just the tech-saavy ones. Less steps = more participation.

I have already greatly customized our version of 1.8+ (which is why I am loath to upgrade to 1.9 until it is as good.)

I am looking into the LSU mod for 1.9 as a potential buyin over the summer. But I have to add all our existing features and the gradebook has to be better, which it currently isn't from a non-tech-saavy-teacher prospective.

Brian
In reply to Brian Pool

by Itamar Tzadok -
I assume that you have good reasons for why your teachers should work directly with the gradebook so I'm stressing the point only as an intellectual exercise. If one is used to and finds it easier to work with another tool which can be "integrated" with Moodle by means of two clicks why ask her to give that tool up? Indeed the gradebook allows for grading manipulations which are better done in the gradebook itself. But I would let that do the work of convincing people to use it rather than convince them myself and in particular I would let people find their own best way for doing that. The importance and even necessity of working directly with the gradebook becomes apparant once you start using more and more online activities as an integral part of the assessment. If you can convince your teachers to do that they will run back to you for instructions how to use the gradebook. smile
In reply to Gina Pixler

by Robert Russo -
Grouping assignments in categories and collapsing them works great, but we wrote a new gradebook system that replaces the Moodle gradebook that does exactly what you want.

It has a mode called sticky tabs which locks the user names in place and allows you to scroll left and right while the names we stay put. It works in every modern browser except ie6.

Let me know if you are interested.
In reply to Robert Russo

by Brian Pool -
PLEASE POST THIS as a mod or e-mail it to me!

I am a K-12 Tech Coordinator using 1.8+ and would love to see the changes you made. Even if it doesn't work in 1.8+ I would like it anyway as I can recode it for our gradebook.

This is one of the major complaints by my teachers!

The other one is that the tab order when entering grades in GBPV2 goes across instead of down through an assignment...if anyone has a mod for that!

Thanks,

Brian