"Force everyone to be subscribed"

"Force everyone to be subscribed"

by Jean-François Nadeau -
Number of replies: 3
Hi!

I have just begun to use Moodle a month ago, so I'm still a beginner... smile

One of the things I had trouble to understand at first was the choice when you create a forum :

"Force everyone to be subscribed?"

Since we had a problem with the scheduler on the Moodle server, I was not able to see the effect of this choice. But with a little bit of research, I finally understood that I could choose or not, as a teacher, the reception by email of a copy of every post in the forum.

I didn't made the association with how things were done for news, etc. Oups!

So, here my suggestion : Would it be easier for beginners if we replace :

"Force everyone to be subscribed?"

By :

"Force the reception of every post in this forum by email?"

It is a little longer but more explicit to the beginner.

It would be the same for the similar strings. Even for the title of the column in the table that list all the forums (Suscribed) : "Receive
by email".

And I LOVE Moodle! smile The more I discover it, the more I like it! smile

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jean-François Nadeau

Re: "Force everyone to be subscribed"

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Did you notice the little yellow help icon next to that option? wink

I agree "subscribe" could be hard to understand when first encountered - I have a plan somewhere to add a subscribe yes/no option to the message posting screen (which defaults to the current setting). That could have the little help icon too.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Jean-François Nadeau -
I'm sorry... but I don't see the yellow help icon beside this option sad I must be looking at the wrong place... and with my eyes closed!
In reply to Jean-François Nadeau

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Sorry, I wasn't thinking about the forum page itself (which probably should have some help links) but the form you use to create a new forum. eg the "Update Forum" button.