Is it possible to have an "End of Lesson" page that is distinctly associated with one lesson.

Is it possible to have an "End of Lesson" page that is distinctly associated with one lesson.

by Stephen Lounsberry -
Number of replies: 7
I have an instance where I would like to modify the "End of Lesson" page so that I can give direction through a hot link to the next lesson in the group of lessons for a single course. Is this possible that I can associate an end of lesson page with distinct information for continuation, if the student passes the lesson, and if the student fails to pass the lesson with a acceptable grade. All of the information that I have seen so far is that the text or php file for the imaginary "end of lesson" page is a global setting.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Stephen Lounsberry

Re: Is it possible to have an "End of Lesson" page that is distinctly associated with one lesson.

by Michael Penney -
In the Lesson settins, in the "Other" box, you can link to another activity in the course at the end of the lesson.

So create the two lessons, then link the first lesson to the second lesson in the "Link to an activity" drop down.
In reply to Michael Penney

Re: Is it possible to have an "End of Lesson" page that is distinctly associated with one lesson.

by Stephen Lounsberry -
First, I thank you for your extremely prompt reply. New users to Moodle will look at that and realize that this is a true users forum for a truly impressive open source LCMS/LMS. I am duly impressed and honored to have had such a quick reply.

In response to your suggestion. That is already checked and a button link to the next lesson does appear along with other less important buttons on the present "End of Lesson Page". I would like to modify the text on the End of Lesson page so that when the student finishes the particular lesson, a particular text appears on the page (this text is associated with some password information only available if the student passes that lesson) that displays with the link to grades, next lesson, etc. I have looked and all of the documentation that is available calls this the "end of lesson" page and I believe that the "end of lesson" page is a global page. I seem to be bungling a bit here.

• A: Student takes lesson "A:" which is linear, each page is a question, and there is a conditional requirement to pass with a certain acceptable outcome (grade must be higher than "X")
  • B: At the end of the lesson, Moodle calculates an outcome, and either sends a message of you have not passed, or you have passed via an "end of lesson" page.
  • C: If student passes, I would like to "write" a password to the next lesson on the you have passed "end of lesson" page.
  • D: if the student does not pass, I would like to exclude the password and send a message to retake the lesson.

I know that it will require that Moodle will discern between passing and not passing and then select the proper "text" to post on the "End of Lesson" page.

If this is a global page then, there would have to be enough coding for me to assign these "text values" and to "post" them to the page.

The caveat is that each successive lesson will have a different password.

Thank you so much for being prompt in your aid, this is extremely encouraging for a person new to Moodle to have such a quick and introspective reply.

by ben reynolds -
Hi Stephen,
The next lesson's setting can use dependency. The next lesson isn't available to the student unless a grade of X is achieved. I haven't used Dependent On but here's the short statement.

This setting allows this current lesson to be dependent upon a students performance in another lesson that is in the same course. If the performance requirement(s) is not met, then the student will not be able to access this lesson.

Conditions for the dependency include:

• Time Spent: the student must spend this set amount of time in the required lesson.
  • Completed: the student must complete the required lesson.
  • Grade better than: the student must earn a grade in the required lesson that is better than the one specified here.

Any combination of the above can be used if needed.

Dependent On obviates the need for a password, I think.

In reply to ben reynolds

by Stephen Lounsberry -
When you use the Dependencies and the Password options, there needs to be a way to pass the password along. This is a request from a potential customer and I am researching the difficulty of modifying the "End of Lesson" page.

I greatly appreciate your responses and have researched them as they come through, but inevitably, I will have to modify the "end of lesson" page. If anyone has done this, I would greatly appreciate any assistance in the coding changes. Thanks again for your continued answers.

Or if it is possible to pass the variables along to be posted on the page as a result of the success or non success of the student, I would greatly appreciate any coding advice.

If I had the logic path for the Moodle actions, it would greatly aid the research necessary to change the appearance of the "end of lesson" pages.

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers
Hi Stephen,
More dust for you to consider. I really don't understand the customer's need for a password (except the customer is always right). What is their real goal? Frankly, what they have outlined could allow the potential for an otherwise failing students to get the password and proceed on the buddy system.

The purpose of dependency is to prevent a student from advancing to the next lesson. Students who do not meet the bar, receive a notice when they attempt to get into the next lesson that tells them why they can not enter. Chain linking lessons together with dependency keeps someone from skipping any lessons. One of the ways to beat this system is for students to share logins. Smart student does the lesson for their buddy. There is some contributed code out there which will ask a random question from a list the student has answered before, which sort of helps.

Your customer will have to consider some form of Activity locking (a contributed code), to block other activities (including Lesson) from sight conditionally.

Here is a work around that sort of meets your described objective (no code involved). Create a one page lesson, make it a question page, put the password in it, give credit for the answer "I will remember this password". Make this lesson dependent upon a previous lesson, you set the conditions. Now make the third lesson that requires a password both dependent upon the lesson with the password and that the student must have the password. Double security but I am sure it does anything more for the overall security.

Best Chris

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Chris Collman

by Stephen Lounsberry -

Does anyone have a logic diagram of the lesson plan .php so that I can review how "postings" are made to the imaginary "end of lesson" page. I would like to change the appearance of this page.

Everyone is to be commended for their continued answers, it is evidence that there is a strong following of users and coders for this open source application.

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers
Hi Stephen,
I suspect you are going to have to wade through the moodle/mod/lesson php files and read the developer's comments. Our more experienced Lesson tweakers will no doubt chime in with some better hints.

I think the variable is called Lesson_EOL. My guess would be it is built in view.php and probably several times to create different views (with score, without score etc). I can barely understand any code smile Almost sounds like you will be adding another variable in the Lesson settings for the EOL page build to consider. Good luck and clear thinking smile

Best Chris