Students cannot reply

Students cannot reply

by Scott Kerman -
Number of replies: 3

I've set up Q&A forums for groups in my class.  They can see my question but there are no links to reply.  Nothing at all.

I reset the forum to a simple discussion format.  Now when they try to reply/post, they see a message that says, "Sorry, you do not have permission to join this discussion."

Any thoughts?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Scott Kerman

Re: Students cannot reply

by Ann Adamcik -
If you're using groups and want the student to reply, you will need to create a separate question for each group. Use the groups selector at the top of the page before adding your question. If you create a question for 'All participants', group members will see it, but won't be able to reply.

The single simple discussion format doesn't work with separate groups.

See http://docs.moodle.org/en/Adding/editing_a_forum#Group_mode.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Ann Adamcik

by willem stempvoort -
Hello ann
thanks for your explanation. I've encountered the same problem.
Do you know the reason why it isn't made possible for the students to reply within there seperate groups to question posted by the teacher for all participants?
TIA

willem

In reply to willem stempvoort

by Ann Adamcik -
Willem,

I haven't delved very deeply into this one, but it looks like the group id is set at the level of the discussion rather than on individual posts.

If a teacher creates a discussion for Group A, then the whole discussion is a 'Group A' discussion and members of that group can see and reply to all posts.

However, if a teacher creates a discussion for all participants, the group id for the discussion is -1, meaning everyone can see it - it's essentially a no-groups discussion within a separate group forum. If group members were allowed to reply to posts within such a discussion, the replies would also be seen by everyone and it would no longer be a separate group forum!

The creation of a discussion for all participants within a grouped forum is really just intended, I think, to be used for announcements.

Hope that helps!
-Ann