"Find the differences" or "Find the mistakes" exercises

"Find the differences" or "Find the mistakes" exercises

by Glenys Hanson -
Number of replies: 5
Hello everyone,

I've already asked this question on the Hot Potatoes list, but no one has answered, so I'm hoping for more luck here:

I'm looking for "Find the differences" or "Find the mistakes"
listening exercises.

I've made some here:
<http://eolf.univ-fcomte.fr/index.php?page=tv-commercials> & here:
<http://eolf.univ-fcomte.fr/index.php?page=students-introductions >
and Michel Barbot has made a couple:
<http://pagesperso-orange.fr/michel.barbot/hotpot/september11/speech1.htm>
& <http://pagesperso-orange.fr/michel.barbot/hotpot/mlk/dream1.htm>
but I haven't found any others.

Do you know of any?

Cheers,
Glenys
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Glenys Hanson

Re: "Find the differences" or "Find the mistakes" exercises

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Glenys,
unfortunately I don't know of any publicly available quizzes using Michael Rottmeier's FindIt output format for JCloze.

It occurred to me that if you mentioned what kind general topic you were looking for or why you wanted to locate these exercises, then the objectives might be clearer to people, and they would find it easier to respond. Maybe. Hope so smile

By the way, I have added FindIt (and DropDown and JGloss for that matter) to the list of output formats that can be generated automatically from a JCloze xml file, i.e. one with a ".jcl" extension, by the QuizPort module - the temporary name I am using for the successor to the HotPot module.

The attached screen snippet show what the output format menu looks like.

You will also see that ANCT-Scan is available for JCloze. This is a new output format for JCloze designed by John Herbert of Akashi National College of Technology here in Japan. Through John, ANCT have sponsored the development of this output format, and so helped the new module come to life. Thanks John!

best regards
Gordon
Attachment jcloze.output.formats.jpg
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Glenys Hanson -
Hello Gordon,

I've only had a quick look at "Quizport" so far but I hope to have some time this weekend. Unfortunately, the only distance learning course I have on Moodle at the moment is on 1.8 or I'd do some testing with students.

I haven't worked out what all the new features actually do, but I'm delighted to see the "Wait till students click on OK" possibility for exiting an exercise.

Would it be possible, after a student clicks on the name of a unit, for them to be taken to the list of exercises in the unit rather to the rather forbidding list of attempts (sorry I don't know what this page is called)? I mean, it's a very useful page, but maybe not what students should see first. Or am I the only one to have technophobic students easily put off by the look of a page?

As for the "Find the difference" exercises, I have two different objectives:
  1. I'd like to find some on any subject, in any language to add to my list of Technically interesting Hot Potatoes pages.

2. I'd like to find some in English to add to my Intermediate Listening Internet mini course ; any exercises in English, on any subject accessible to an intermediate level EFL / ESL student. They would have to be freely available on the Internet, on Moodle or not. I think these exercises are great: they force the students to listen very attentively but they also find them fun.
Up until now, Hot Potatoes exercises (unlike Moodle quizzes) have been doable by "guests". Will this continue in the new QuizPort? I do hope so.

Cheers,
Glenys

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Dear Glenys,
thanks for clarifying the type of exercises you are looking for approve

As well as links, could folks also send you the Hot Potatoes exercise (plus associated media files) ? I ask this, because it may be that someone has a nice exercise that is hidden from public view on a password protected Moodle site. Maybe they want to offer you the quiz, but they don't want to open up the Moodle site. In that case, could they send you the files for you to make publicly available?

> the only distance learning course I have on Moodle
> at the moment is on 1.8 or I'd do some testing with students

Great! I intend to make the QuizPort compatible with earlier Moodle's (1.8, 1.7 1.6 1.5) in due course, so I hope you will be able to test it out soon on your Moodle 1.8 group.

> Would it be possible, after a student clicks on the name of a unit,
> for them to be taken to the list of exercises in the unit
> rather to the rather forbidding list of attempts

Yes, absolutely. To achieve this effect, you would simply set "Show intro" to "No" for the QuizPort. Then when the student views the QuizPort, the module will check to see which quizzes may be viewed by that student, and show a list (see attached screen shot)

> Up until now, Hot Potatoes exercises have been
> doable by "guests". Will this continue in the new QuizPort?

Yes. The roles and permissions are the same so the access will be what you are used to.

best regards
Gordon
Attachment quizport.list.of.quizzes.gif
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Glenys Hanson -
Dear Gordon,

That's a great idea! I hadn't thought there might be people with exercises on a password protected site that they'd be willing to share. Of course, if there were, I'd be willing to offer some of my exercises in return that they could put on their course. In fact, I'm open to any kind of sharing and exchange. I'm particularly interested in "raw materials" to turn into exercises: video, audio or text. As I have fewer distance courses this year, I'm hoping to work on new Hot Pots and maybe other sorts too ...

It's useful to know that you're going to provide Quizport for other versions of Moodle, though my course runs from October to January and I'm hoping to persuade the Moodle administrator to upgrade before the end.

And positive answers to everything I ask about Quizport! big grin

I'll upload some of my sets of exercises to test tomorrow.

Cheers,
Glenys

by Glenys Hanson -
Hello James,

I'm answering your private message here because maybe other people would like to know how I make the "Find the differences" exercises. It's not a secret! In fact, I've added the information to the bottom of the relevant exercise so other teachers don't have to wonder how they were made.

They were made with Hot Potatoes and Michael Rottmeier's Find-It! This is an add-on for Hot Potatoes that Gordon mentions above.

You mention making "hot spots" on images and doing "a 'find the differences' with a picture, and the listeners have to click on the image wherever it is different from the recording. That sounds like a great idea! Except that I don't know how to make hot spots on images in Hot Potatoes. Now it's your turn to explain. wink

Cheers,

Glenys