Bulk user actions improvement

Bulk user actions improvement

by Vlas Voloshin -
Number of replies: 73
Hello!
Here at pre-high school education center of TTI SFU we’ve developed an improvement for Moodle administration tool, user bulk actions, to implement it on our site.
Its code was updated so that now it has a plug-in structure, enabling developers to add new bulk actions functionality more easily, on the base of single code. Shortly, all actions are stored in their own subfolders in /admin/user/actions/ folder, and the base code redirects user to index.php in the action’s folder. To simplify the implementation even further, necessary language strings can be stored in corresponding subfolder of /admin/user/lang/ folder and fetched by get_string function with action-specific parameters. All “standard” actions (view, confirm, delete…) were edited to fit this plug-in structure and perform the same.
Additionally, two more actions were added: bulk user enrolment and bulk user unenrolment. These enable administrators to quickly enrol users to, or remove them from specified list of courses. Bulk enrolment also gives opportunity to specify the role, which is assigned to users, and to automatically add them to groups with a specified name (the names are taken from the selected courses automatically; if the group is missing in any course, it will not be created - users will be just enroled). The role assignment may also be hidden. Currently implemented languages for those plug-ins are en_utf8 and ru_utf8.
This improvement may resolve bug 10002 and extends the functionality of patch, accepted in bug 15449.

We would like to share this piece of code, and looking forward to hear any response or suggestions. We also would appreciate to see our patch in standard Moodle distrib.
To install this updated tool you have to delete (or rename for backup) the whole /admin/user/ folder and replace it with the one in the attachment.

Here are some screenshots:
screenshot1.jpg

screenshot2.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Vlas Voloshin

Re: Bulk user actions improvement

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Feel free to upload the code to the tracker issue(s) you mentioned. A cursory glance seems like it may be best to simply create a new tracker issue and describe exactly what your code does and mention that the new issue is related to the other issues. Thanks for your work and interest in helping to improve things. Peace - Anthony
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Vlas Voloshin -
Thanks, we are going to do this soon, but what we wanted first is to give developers an opportunity to have a look on our code, maybe to make some remarks on it so it complies the whole system's structure. And, we just want to emphasize, that reorganizing the bulk user action tool into plug-in structure would be very useful in our opinion - for adding new actions without editing the base tool code. In this way, those two plug-ins we've developed are merely "side effects" smile Honestly they are not the main problems we wanted to discuss.

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Did you see my comments (complaints) about the MDL-15449 code in MDL-16701?
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Vlas Voloshin -
Well, actually, if you look on the second screenshot, you'll notice that role which is assigned to enroled users is set by the user of the tool. The roles to fill that select is taken from the system by get_assignable_roles function - so 1) they are not hardcoded; 2) it gives opportunity to assign not only the role of student. User may also select "default" role - which is course-relevant and taken from get_default_course_role function - it resolves to course default, if it's set, the system default, if not, and legacy/student if nothing is set. Enrolment, by the way, is done by the standard role_assign and groups_add_member functions too.
So you can see that we don't have bug 16701 problem here, and that actually our solution is more complex and convenient than bug 15449, not to mention the plug-in system, which is the main improvement.
Also I want to say that the ideas of it are not so new - gradebook plug-in system was the "insight" smile

by Aljohn De Guzman -

I'm confused of how would i make this work with mine.. i'm new with this and adding plugins and stuffs like this is my current problem.. i already tried some tweaks. but it doesn't change the user actions when i check it on my localhost... can i get a help? thanks a lot for the idea btw,

by Vlas Voloshin -
We've made a few changes to update, so now it's made similar to gradebook reports plug-in system: version.php are added to each action and language strings are now stored in separate lang folders for each action, making the implementation of new actions a little more easy.
Update was uploaded to tracker: bug 16793

by Michael Penney -
Where are you getting the group's name (in "Automatically add to group" from?
In reply to Michael Penney

by Vlas Voloshin -
Group names, available to select from, are fetched automatically from the selected courses - when these change, the script gets all group names in every course, writing down any group name which is not in the resulting list yet. That is, if any group name is available in more than one course, it will be in this list only once. But if the name is found not in all selected courses, it still will be in that list. When the enroling will be done, group adding will be performed only for those courses, where that group name is available.
Of course, another way is to display only those names, which are available in ALL courses, but this might not be always convenient.
And yes, there is an option not to perform group adding at all - it's the first and always available element of group names select, "Do not add".

by Vlas Voloshin -
MDL-16793 was rearranged and divided to subtasks: plug-in architecture, bulk user enrolment/unenrolment and "replace filters" button. All subfeatures now can be applied as patches, so installation and checking is easier.
And yes, we still would like to hear any comments about the functionality smile

by Michael Penney -
Thanks for working on this!

One huge advance in functionality would be to be able to limit the users one sees in bulk actions based on site course groupsmile.

by Vlas Voloshin -
Michael, can't comprehend your idea... Can you explain a little more? Especially, on what criteria should the list of users to perform the actions on, be limited?

by Vlas Voloshin -
Michael, still wish to hear from you smile What exactly do you have in mind about new functionality?

by Michael Penney -
Hoping to find a new way to do client level multitenancy:

Administrator
--Site1 Adminstrator
--Site2 Administrator
--Site3 Administrator

Site1 can only see users in his/her 'group', not all users on the site. I was thinking about site level groupings for this, but...it may be more flexible to do it a different way - maybe with a Bulk actions block that could operate at the category level, e.g. category admin sees only users in his/her category...

by Vlas Voloshin -
Well, maybe I misunderstood you a little, but as far as I know such things are impossible in the current Moodle architecture smile Maybe I'll give it a try though...
If by categories you mean course categories - that wouldn't be a variant as well, because almost always users are enroled in courses of many categories.
Actually, I'm not quite sure for what exactly does one need to divide users between administrators with their rights only to those who are in the same group (of course, if they are administrators, and not teachers, for example). But if there's only a need to divide users for conveniency, extra profile fields are out there smile Bulk user actions combine just fine with them.

by Michael Penney -
Not impossible, but hard. Categories - it is a choice made by the administrator whether users are enrolled in many categories or just in a category tree (a category and it's sub-categories). There is a definite need (in the SMB space), wouldn't bring it up otherwisewink.

by Artem Andreev -
But at this moment Moodle doesn't have ability to divide users into logic groups on system and categories level. Only on course level.

by Vlas Voloshin -
New functionality was added to bulk user actions architecture: now all actions are required to contain settings.php file with capability, needed to use that action. This is added merely for convenience, as this capability is checked for each action to determine whether to show this action in the action list. Actual capabilities needed to run the action are checked in the action itself, of course.
settings.php file has the following format:

<?php
$requirecapability = 'moodle/user:update';
?>

where 'moodle/user:update' should be changed to a needed capability.
If settings.php file is missing, the action is not included in the list.
To install this update, simply unpack the contents of BUA_update.zip to your /admin/user directory. The archive already contains settings.php files for all standard actions, as well as bulk enrolment and unenrolment.

Another new functionality may be to add db/access.php files to actions, which require new capabilities to be added into the system. But this will work only if we include code to check and update capabilities:

// /admin/index.php:486
upgrade_plugins('admin/user/actions', $CFG->admin.'/user/actions', "$CFG->wwwroot/$CFG->admin/index.php");

and new plugin type to /lib/access.php, function load_capability_def.
The question is - is there any need to add it? Or maybe standard capabilities are enough for bulk user actions to limit their display in the list - and their usage? Any suggestions are welcome.
See MDL-17010 for corresponding tracker issue.

by Nigel Osborne -
I just found this improvement to our 1.9.3 installation. Just what we needed big grin

I first installed the original files (bulk_user_actions.zip), and that worked perfectly.

Then I found the revised version on this post (BUA_update.zip), so I installed that instead. But this version doesn't quite work. The drop-down "With selected users..." only contains text like ""pluginname"" instead of the correct plugin title.

I'm pretty sure I installed it correctly, including the language files. Any idea what could be wrong?

I've reverted to the earlier version for now.
In reply to Nigel Osborne

by Vlas Voloshin -
Hello and thanks for using my code, happy to see someone else takes benefits from it smile
Well, I'm not really sure, but probably I just forgot to add something in that update smile I suggest you to download the latest version from here: http://download.moodle.org/download.php/patches/bulk_user_improvements.zip
It's linked to CVS, so if I make any changes, the zip will be updated. I think it's better just to delete current version and install new one.

by Red Morris -
Good work Vlas. I haven't installed your add-in, but I've voted for it to be included in the core. It fits in with the modular ethos of Moodle, and would stop me having to manually add our mod every time we upgrade

by Adam Cripps -
I'm very interested in installing this mod. Is there any documentation for the install? I don't want to mess up anything that is already there.
Thanks.
In reply to Adam Cripps

by Vlas Voloshin -
Adam, currently all you need to do to install this improvement is to delete (or backup) the contents of /admin/user/ folder and replace them with the contents of bulk_user_improvements folder inside the archive you've downloaded.
Please be sure you have the latest version by downloading the improvement from here.

by Rosario Carcò -
Hi,

has anybody an idea on how to select/filter user accounts that were never used. The "Browse List of Users" shows NEVER in the "Last Access" field, but you can not search/filter for this value in the "Bulk user actions".

Thanks for any hints, Rosario
In reply to Rosario Carcò

by Anthony Borrow -
Rosario - I think you may be interested in MDL-15502. I have provided a proposed patch but it has not been evaluated yet. Feel free to try the patch on a test server and see if it works for you and of course to comment/vote on the issue as you feel appropriate. Peace - Anthony

by Rosario Carcò -
Thanks, I just voted for it and will try/test the patch this week.

Rosario

by Rosario Carcò -
Oh, I am just realizing to be a Newbie in matters of patches. First, I do not know which of the 4 files proposed in MDL-15502 I should take and second, I do not know how to apply a patch to an existing file. Has this to be done with Eclipse, another thing I do not know how to deal with...

Rosario

by José Ángel Polo -

Hi Vlas.

In moodle 1.9.3 bulk user actions course enrol run OK, but not remove. When I have finished this actions (remove user from a course/s) width happy result, I´m going to a course and user not removed.

Any solution?

Best Reggards.

In reply to José Ángel Polo

by José Ángel Polo -

Sorry, I´m wrong, all run OK. The user I tested has directory permissions, so this is the cause he is a student after remove from BUA

Great work!

Someone know a similar code to management user roles? I use tim role´s report, but It´s only limited to management one user.

Reggards.

by Adam Longwill -
I can't believe that Moodle does not automatically come with this piece of functionality automatically. Thank you for creating this code. It has saved myself and others at our college dozens of hours of adding students individually to the correct classes. Thank you a thousand times.

by Dan Roddy -
This is a great add-on. I've often wondered if I was misunderstanding something about enrolment in Moodle as it seemed not to offer some features that I thought were fairly basic elements of the commercial LMSs I've used in the past (I can see why they may have been missing in an LMS aimed at schools/colleges). Clearly they were missing as this fix puts them in. Brilliant work.

Are there any known issues with this? Is there not a page for it in the plug-ins section of Moodle.org?

by Jesús Martín -
Hi.
Can anybody update this code for 1.9.7 moodle version?

Thanks...
In reply to Jesús Martín

by Artem Andreev -
It works fine for me in Moodle 1.9.7.

What do you mean by "update this code for 1.9.7"?

Force password change?
HTML editor in message form?
In reply to Artem Andreev

by Nacho Aguilar -
Hi,

I think he's talking about the items 'Enrol to courses' and 'Remove from courses', they're out in Moodle 1.9.7.

The other items work fine.
In reply to Nacho Aguilar

by Artem Andreev -
Standard Moodle distrib has never contained 'Enrol to courses' and 'Remove from courses'.

Our improvements replace standard Bulk user actions and at this moment doesn't contain Force password change and HTML editor in message form.

In next couple days I will add those functionality.

by Nacho Aguilar -

Your replace standard Bulk user action is a great improvent, I cannot understand it isn't in Standard Moodle distrib

Anyway, Thank you very much.

by Jesús Martín -
Yes, thanks...
This was what I mean...

I agree with Nacho. Your code is one of the best patchs in Moodle...
In reply to Jesús Martín

by Artem Andreev -
Done.

Installing:
1. delete (or backup) the contents of /admin/user/ folder
2. replace them with the contents of bulk_user_improvements folder inside the archive you've downloaded.

Latest version.

by Jason Hollowell -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Vlas,

First, thanks so much for this contribution. I am very happy to have many of the capabilities that are included here. One very powerful addition for us is the ability to filter based on custom added profile fields. Excellent! smile

I'm having a small issue that appears it may be a little bug...? When I create a filter and try to download the results by adding all of the users retrieved by the filter and selecting "download" from the "With selected users" dropdown menu I get a page that has three links (Download in text format, Download in ODS format, Download in Excel format). If I click on one of these links (any of them) I get the content displayed in my browser page. If I option click on the link (I'm on a Mac) I get the file downloaded as a php file (index.php). The contents (results of the filter) are included in the file but shouldn't this be downloading the file immediately upon clicking on the link and shouldn't the file be formatted in the .txt, .ods, xls, formats?

Jason
In reply to Jason Hollowell

by Jason Hollowell -
A followup to my last post....actually it's not related really...just a request/suggestion. How difficult would it be to add "greater than", "less than" filter conditions to the filters here? We are using some of the user profile fields to store campus-wide proficiency test scores and it would be very nice to be able to filter based upon score values. For example, filter all students with a score greater than 60 on a particular test (or greater than 59 if I wanted to include 60 and "greater than or equal to" was not an option smile ).

Maybe this would be too difficult in terms of programming and database bandwidth??

Jason

by Artem Andreev -
This request doesn't concern to Bulk user actions. Filtering code is located in moodle_dir\user\filters\lib.php. Sorry but we have no need for such feature and we haven't resources for coding and further supporting required modifications.

by Artem Andreev -
Hi!

Vlas no longer works with us.

One very powerful addition for us is the ability to filter based on custom added profile fields.
It is feature from standard distrib.

I'm having a small issue that appears it may be a little bug...?
It works for me (Moodle 1.9.7)

by Jason Hollowell -
Artem,

I am sorry to hear that Vlas is no longer with you.

As for the ability to filter based upon custom user profile fields, sorry, I hadn't played with the filters for a while and didn't even realize that the ability to filter by profile field was an option. smile

Also, in reference to the download functionality, I guess this is additional incentive for me to upgrade to the latest version of Moodle smile

Finally, since the filters are a part of the core, I understand. I will pursue the additional filter conditions elsewhere.

Thanks smile

Jason

by Jason Hollowell -
Artem,

I did a little reading and dug through the files and realized that adding the functionality that I wanted was quite easy so I did it myself. I don't know if anyone is interested in being able to use the "greater than" and "less than" filters on the profile fields but we have a need. Additionally, I don't know if the way I wrote it is the best way to do it so use this at your own risk. I've simply added the following two lines to the operator code:

case 8: // is greater than
$where = "data > '$value'"; break;
case 9: // is less than
$where = "data < '$value'"; break;

and added strings so that the operators are labeled correctly. If you wan to try this just replace the profilefield.php file with the one attached and the filters.php file in your language directory with the one attached. That should do it.

Jason

**Note** - This is a hack to the core so if you update your site it will be overwritten.

**EDIT** P.S. Just figured I'd go ahead and add them all smile so I added "greater than or equal to" and "less than or equal to". Also, fixed a little issue I had with the labeling of the filter after it had been created. I'm overwriting the original upload here so hopefully only the final version is visible.

by Jason Hollowell -
Sorry, I forgot to mention in the previous post that the files included are from 1.9.8 (Build 20100325). If you want to implement this in another version of Moodle just open the files and look for the commented sections. Comments are "added filter". You should be able to find the appropriate area and add it to the same files from other versions. Here are the files again with all of the comments clearly added.

Jason

by Jason Hollowell -
Another comment here (kind of talking to myself smile )

I've noticed that if you have many users in your system (we have 4000+) and your server isn't blazing fast (our site runs on a dedicated MacMini running Ubutnu) that this filter takes a LOT of time (almost 10 seconds) with a heavy load on the processor. I'm guessing that is because all of the users that have already been retrieved from the database are being filtered by the script. It may be more efficient to pull only the relevant users from the database with an SQL query but that would involve way more coding that I'm capable of.

Or, I could be completely wrong! smile

Jason

by Nacho Aguilar -

Hi,

did you solve that problem?

I'm having a small issue that appears it may be a little bug...? When I create a filter and try to download the results by adding all of the users retrieved by the filter and selecting "download" from the "With selected users" dropdown menu I get a page that has three links (Download in text format, Download in ODS format, Download in Excel format). If I click on one of these links (any of them) I get the content displayed in my browser page. If I option click on the link (I'm on a Mac) I get the file downloaded as a php file (index.php). The contents (results of the filter) are included in the file but shouldn't this be downloading the file immediately upon clicking on the link and shouldn't the file be formatted in the .txt, .ods, xls, formats?

Thanks

by ivan breziansky -
Hi,
contributing slovak translation for your patch. Translation is located in folder ./Actions/*/lang/sk_utf8.
In reply to ivan breziansky

by Artem Andreev -
Thanks. Git repository updated.
http://github.com/andreev-artem/bulk_user_improvements

Zip download: http://github.com/andreev-artem/bulk_user_improvements/zipball/master

P.S. Repository contain enhancement for action "Enrol to courses" added ability to enrol in several groups.

by Anthony Borrow -

Artem - Could you make sure that the Git path is provided in the tracker (I believe the issues is MDL-17010)? I just want to make sure that when the developers review this that they have the code to look at. I believe the plugin structure for dealing with bulk user actions is a great step forward and would allow for some custom plugins to be dropped in without modifying core code. I'm always happy to see more modularity. Peace - Anthony

by Artem Andreev -

Hello, Anthony!

I posted comment to MDL-17010.

At this moment it is not major patch. I reworked it to admin report "Advanced bulk user actions" to simplify development process.

But I think it would be better if Moodle has something like User actions API, which can be used in different Moodle modules...

by Anthony Borrow -

Thanks Artem - That should give us an idea of at least one way that it could be done. Peace - Anthony

by Geoffrey Brewster -
One nice improvement would be the ability to filter users by the group or groups within a course.

So, we would filter by course and then by the members of particular groups within that course.
In reply to Geoffrey Brewster

by Anthony Borrow -

Geoffrey - I like the idea, it would be more consistent with the behavior we see when viewing the course participants. If groups are available you can select the group you want, then role, etc. In fact, I wonder if the solution is to make some of those options available on the drop down of things to do with selected users on the course participants page if the user has the requisite capabilities. I would think that if we were to add the filter interface to the course participant page (/user/index.php) and ensure that all of the options available to that user are in fact in the drop down list of actions to perform to the selected users that would be a definite improvement. In 1.9, the list is to send a message, add a note, add a common note, and extend enrollment. In 2.0, the enrollment option is removed and is in the navigation bar. Under bulk user actions we have confirm, delete, display on page, download and force password change. I think the ability to add a note would be helpful on the bulk user page (/admin/user/user_bulk.php). I think this would make the pages more consistent in the sense that when looking at a list of users, you can select a group of them and perform some action and with the improved capability checks, I think making everything that is possible/reasonable to be done to those selected users is not a bad idea. Peace - Anthony

by Artem Andreev -

Bulk user actions improvement reworked from major patch to admin report "Advanced bulk user actions" to simplify development process.

Installing:
Extract the contents of andreev-artem-moodle_admin_report_advuserbulk-xxxxxxx folder inside the archive you've downloaded to folder admin/report/advuserbulk.
After installation you can find link "Advanced bulk user actions" in Administration ► Users ► Accounts

Git: https://github.com/andreev-artem/moodle_admin_report_advuserbulk

by Aljohn De Guzman -

I'm confused of how would i make this work with mine.. i'm new with this and adding plugins and stuffs like this is my current problem.. i already tried some tweaks. but it doesn't change the user actions when i check it on my localhost... can i get a help?

In reply to Aljohn De Guzman

by Sriprasad TG -

I'm unable to see any change in drop downs of bulk user actions after extracting to "advuserbulk" in admin/reports...no luck!

Am I doing something wrong?

In reply to Sriprasad TG

by Artem Andreev -

Do you use Moodle 1.9? If yes, do you have "Advanced bulk user actions" nearby "Bulk user actions" in the admin menu?

by Aljohn De Guzman -

mine is the 2.0.3 version.. and i am not seeing any "advance bulk user actions" in my localhost..

by Sriprasad TG -

Yes Artem, I'm using Moodle 1.9.

I can't see "Advanced bulk user actions". Hope this is not because, I use MS SQL, not MySQL?

In reply to Sriprasad TG

by Artem Andreev -

This report doesn't create any DB tables on install. Do you receive any errors while installing plugin?

by Sriprasad TG -

Thanks for the quick reply..as usual.

I got this issue fixed. Under Admin>Notifications, there was an update prompt for Advance Bulk User, I selected that. It started working now.

Thanks a lot! This is very useful.

by merozd 07 -

Hi.

I install this plugin in my moodle. My moodle version is 1.9.12. But moodle don't accept this plugin. It's exchange my home page. I removed the directory but it is not change.This moodle is vert very important for me. Please tell me how can i remove this plugin?

Help me sad

In reply to merozd 07

by vancool black -

Hello Arteem,

Please update the module bulk user action into version 2.x
because in my campus already use that version for studying.
And the site already running for 8 teacher.

Thanks a lot for your help at this matter.

Best Regards,
Ervan

In reply to vancool black

by Artem Andreev -

by Christian Rojas -

Hi Artem,

When do you think can be fully ready for the version 2.xIt is a very useful plugin.

Thank you very much for your work.

A greeting

P. S. Translated with google. Sorry for errors.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Christian Rojas

by Seun Ojedeji -

I am trying to download all my users, and its not working. It gives a blank page! Anyone experiencing this?

Cheers

In reply to Seun Ojedeji

by Ray Lawrence -

I think the last time I encountered someone with this issue it was a large CSV file and a small server session time out setting.

by Christoph Ruda -

Hi Artem,

I found the latest version here:

https://github.com/andreev-artem/moodle_admin_tool_advuserbulk

but sadly it doesn't work in 2.5. I find your improved bulk user actions tool extremely helpful.. Is there a chance that you could let us know what your plans are for updating it to 2.5?

Many thanks,

Christoph

In reply to Christoph Ruda

by andrew flack -

Hi Artem,

Sorry to reply to such an old thread, but I was wondering if you had any luck with getting this working in 2.5? We are currently using 3.0, so was hoping you may have some advice or be able to point me to an similar solutions that you used to do the same job as this plugin?