Need to Experiment w/ Moodle

Need to Experiment w/ Moodle

by Peter Van Leeuwen -
Number of replies: 7

Our current LMS is Blackboard, - I want to pilot Moodle on a limited basis.  Let me share my naivete ... is it possible to simply download Moodle to my notebook and experiment w/ Moodle's functionality, or do I need to download to a server? Thanks.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Peter Van Leeuwen

Re: Need to Experiment w/ Moodle

by Robert Brenstein -
In short, yes, it is certainly doable and done.

In long, you need to get a web server (like Apache), PHP, and a database (like MySQL) running on your computer before you install Moodle. There are turnkey solutions for certain systems exactly for such a purpose. If you don't want to mess up your computer, you can use virtualization software to run Moodle for testing.

On the other hand, Moodle.org has a sandbox server for playing as a teacher and even as an admin, so to just get a feeling for Moodle, you don't need to run your own setup. Furthermore, many providers over automagic installation of Moodle through cPanel, for example. It may be worth paying $6-$10 to get such a service for a month or two to experiment.
In reply to Robert Brenstein

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
> Moodle.org has a sandbox server for playing as a teacher and even as an admin,

Do you mean http://demo.moodle.org/ ? It says "The database and files are erased and restored to a clean state every hour on the hour, .."!
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Robert Brenstein -
Yes, this demo site is a sandbox. You play any way you want. If you mess up, it does not matter.
In reply to Robert Brenstein

by Ron Meske -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Beside the the sandbox on Moodle.org there is also at least one hosting company that offers a free Moodle install that is funded by ads being displayed. Its called Ninehub.

by A. T. Wyatt -
I would recommend downloading and installing the local pack to your local machine (if you are just looking at it yourself, not sharing with other users).

http://download.moodle.org/windows/
or
http://download.moodle.org/macosx/

These packages are not really recommended for production use, however. But they are very useful for testing, building themes, etc.

atw

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Howard Wu -
Lambda Solutions offers free 1 month hosting so you can sign up and try it out risk free for 30 days

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
If you use one of the Windows packages it really is that easy. Being a developer, I normally have to install copies of Moodle manually. Last week I needed to check some instructions we were about to send out, and that involved using the Windows package, and I was impressed at how easy it was. Complete instructions for using the packages here: Complete_install_packages_for_Windows.