Quizport query

Quizport query

by robert maran -
Number of replies: 14
Hi Gordon,
I took the liberty of trying out your new hotpot module- quizport on your server by uploading some hot potato quizzes. In the "edit quizzes" area, you have "add more quizzes" button, but there does not seem to be anywhere to actually add quizzes. Is this function not going to be available for the "free" version? (Actually being able to add multiple quizzes on one/ same page will be a godsend and it will be worth paying money for if needs be). If it can be done currently, could you indicate how to do it?

Cheers
robert

p.s. I need to contact you privately regarding some help you gave last year with my moodle site. Do you have a a contact email I can get in touch with you?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to robert maran

Re: Quizport query

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Robert,
to add more quizzes to a QuizPort unit ...
  1. click radio button marked "Add more quizzes"
  2. click radio button marked "Start of unit", "End of unit" or "After quiz", depending on where you want to add the extra quiz(zes)
  3. click the "Save changes" button
This will take you to the page for adding a quiz. You can add just one quiz or your can add a chain, or all the quizzes in a folder.

My email is gordon at-sign kanazawa hyphen gu dot ac dot jp.

look forward to hearing from you smile
Gordon
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by robert maran -
Hi Gordon,
OK, I think I have got it to work. Adding a chain of quizzes is really cool and easy to use. However, it seems that adding a chain is limited to files in the same folder. Is it possible to add files to the chain from different uploaded folders at the same time? I ask this, because the IT admins put a cap on the file size that can be uploaded. (Having said that, I guess it would be possible just to go "edit quizzes" and add other files ).

Cheers
Robert
In reply to robert maran

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Robert,

you cannot add files from several folders at once. You would either have to each folder separately to QuizPort unit, or probably it would be easier to upload the files to the same folder on the server, from where you could add them all at once.

regards
Gordon

Grading quizport

by robert maran -
Hi Gordon,
Is there an option for showing/ grading individual exercises in a unit built with quizport. I maybe missing something here, but as i see it now, only the score for the whole unit is displayed. Some teachers may wish to see how students did on individual exercises as well as the whole unit.

Cheers
Robert
In reply to robert maran

Re: Grading quizport

by Gordon Bateson -
Robert,
just in the past few days I have completed the basic reports for the QuizPort module (as I have decided to call this module for Moodle 1.9), so please could you download the latest version and try that:
As well as the QuizPort index page, which can show class averages and the complete results for individual students, there are additional reports in the above download to show the following:
  • all students' attempts at a particular unit
  • a single user's attempt at a particular unit
  • all students' attempts at a particular quiz (like the current HotPot module)
  • a single user's attempt at a particular quiz (like the current HotPot module)
These reporting functionality is very much in a state of flux at the moment, so please keeping sending feedback on what works and what doesn't. It is all much appreciated !

regards
Gordon

by robert maran -
Hi Gordon,
I may have missed it, but is there still the "give up" button in quizport?

robert
In reply to robert maran

by Gordon Bateson -
Yes, it should be in the "navigation" setting for a quiz.

If you want all the quizzes to have the button, then you can use the "Edit quizzes" page to set them all at once.

Gordon

by robert maran -
Hi,
Sorry, but looking at quizport on your site, I can not seem to locate a "give up" button on either "navigation" setting nor "Edit quizzes". Is the version of quizport different on your site than the one people can download?

robert
In reply to robert maran

by Gordon Bateson -
Hi Robert,

the Navigation setting is on the "Edit quiz" page. You can get to the "Edit Quiz" for a particular quiz by clicking the edit icon for that quiz either on the "Edit Quizzes" page or on the "View Quiz" page.

I have attached a screen shot, showing what I mean.

Gordon
Attachment editquizzes.gif

by Gordon Bateson -
Robert,
I just discovered that the "Give up" button for JMix wasn't working very well on the QuizPort module, so if you were using the downloaded zip file, please download it again.
Gordon

by robert maran -
Hi Gordon,
I am still playing around with the exercises I uploaded to your site via quizport. I can add a "give up" button, but it doesn't seem to work with jcross,jcloze as well. ( I don't know about jquiz).
Again I may be missing something here, but I am trying it out from a student's perspective as well, and I was wondering whether it is possible to make navigation arrows "==>" so a student can scroll back and forth through a unit of exercises? Alternatively, is it possible to add a index list to one side, that would indicate where a student was currently at in a particular unit and the scores so far attained?

I also notice that two media players appear in a listening exercise- if you look at the exercise titled "How often-?" it shows moodle's standard player plus the media player I used. I tried the different filters in the edit place, but it either shows two moodle standard players or one moodle standard player + the player I used.
Robert
In reply to robert maran

by Gordon Bateson -
Hi Robert,
thanks for the feedback.

I will have a look at JCross and JCloze and get the Give Up buttons working for you.

I haven't checked but the <=, => buttons may well work for a Hot Potatoes quiz, if you set the "navigation" to "Quiz's original navigation aids".

Another thing you could experiment with is adding a post-condition (on the "Edit quizzes" page) for each quiz, to specify that after finishing or aborting one quiz the students will be shown a list of available quizzes.

The QuizPort module can display standard blocks, so at some point I intend to write some blocks which will show the students progress through the unit, their score so far etc.

The extra media player got added by me - sorry about the confusion. I noticed that you were using the HBS player, so I wanted to try inserting it using the QuizPort media filters. Instead of the long <object ...> tag, you can just use the "square bracket" notation as follows:
  • [howoftendoyou.mp3 hbs 71 52]
The general format of this notation is ...
  • [file.ext player width height options]
The "file.ext" is required, but the other settings are optional. I have created filters for the following players:
  • moodle standard player
  • hbs (Half-Baked Software) mp3 player
  • Bernard Dyer version of hbs player
  • The PYG mp3 player
I intend to ask the creators of these players for permission to include their players with this module when it becomes available via Moodle CVS.

out for now
Gordon

by robert maran -
Hi Gordon,
I tried changing to "quizzes original navigation aids" in the edit quiz for each quiz in the 10 quiz-unit. But it did not work. What I mean is, the navigation bars "=>" were present, but they don't navigate. When I go back to look and edit each quiz again, i discovered that the settings had reverted back to "moodle navigation bar".

"Another thing you could experiment with is adding a post-condition (on the "Edit quizzes" page) for each quiz, to specify that after finishing or aborting one quiz the students will be shown a list of available quizzes. " This has me stumped- I can not see how and where it can be done. If I click on "add" in the post-conditions place, I onlysee "condition score", "attempt count", "attempt type", etc. Obviously I am missing something?!
Robert
In reply to robert maran

by Gordon Bateson -
Hi Robert,

sounds like you found the conditions screen - well done!

What happens if you select "Menu of next quizzes" in the "Next quiz" drop-down menu?

Gordon