Stuck on "Full Report of Recent Activity" screen during install

Stuck on "Full Report of Recent Activity" screen during install

by Mark Outten -
Number of replies: 9
I am running Fedora Core 2 (Apache 2, PHP 4.3.4, MySQL 3.2).  

The install process seems to go well as the first few screens creating the databases are all successful.  I then proceed to one more screen and it hangs saying:

Activity since Sunday, 1 August 2005, 08:16AM

Full report of recent activity... (and it is a hot link to the activity of the site I guess, but right now it goes nowhere because there hasn't been any).

That's it.  Nothing more on that page.

I have deleted and recreated the database, users in MySQL and even deleted the moodle directory and started over.  Same issue.  Something seems to be an issue with either PHP or Apache, but I have tried to follow the install instructions as well as I can.

I have set up Moodle on Mac OS X without a hitch in the past and thought this would go as well.  Any help anyone can give would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mark Outten

Re: Stuck on "Full Report of Recent Activity" screen during install

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
That's very bizarre ... so this is before you even see the config screen?

Have you tried fetching a fresh copy of Moodle 1.3.3+ just in case the files have been mixed up?
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Mark Outten -
Yes - I have 1.3.3 and have installed it once - got the error - and then uninstalled it (the directory and database) and reinstalled.  I get the same error.  That is what leads me to beleive I either am : 1) missing a step OR 2) something is wrong with PHP (which is the only thing to stay constant).

Yeah - it happens prior to me configuring the system, but after the database building screens. 

Very odd indeed. 

In reply to Mark Outten

by André Krüger -
Picture of Core developers
Please check php-memory limit.
In reply to André Krüger

by Przemyslaw Stencel -
Yes, I was having the same problem (not on a fresh install, but upgrade) when my memory_limit was 8M. Once increased to 16M, everything was fine. Mark, try it.

Martin, maybe there should be a notice about the memory limit on http://moodle.org/doc/?file=install.html#webserver and http://moodle.org/doc/?file=upgrade.html ?
In reply to Przemyslaw Stencel

by Mark Outten -
Everyone - problem solved.  PHP Memory was the problem.  That was a bizarre one for me.  Like i said, the install on my PowerBook (Panther) went well.  I haven't checked it, but I guess they set that setting alittle higher.

Anyway, thanks for all the help and for this great software.  We are a K-12 school in rural Virginia and are going to use Moodle this year with some kids to try it out.  I plan on presenting our experiences with it at a state conference this year. 

Thanks again!

Mark
In reply to Mark Outten

by W Page -
Hi!

FYI.  There is a Moodle Partner close by where you are in Charlottesville, Virginia.
Remote-Learner
http://remote-learner.net

WP1
In reply to W Page

by Mark Outten -

Thanks!  I'll check them out. 

Mark

In reply to Przemyslaw Stencel

by roy aragon -
i'm also having that error right after install... thanks for the info!
In reply to roy aragon

by André Krüger -
Picture of Core developers
Have you already check php memory limit ?
When your memory_limit is only 8M , try it with 16M .