How to remove "Choose at least one answer." from the multiple choice questions

How to remove "Choose at least one answer." from the multiple choice questions

by laneesh vp -
Number of replies: 15

How to remove "Choose at least one answer." from the multiple choice questions.

My quiz has some multiple choice question in which student has to select all the correct answers to get full mark.

I want to remove this sentence as it doesnt make any sense.

Please help

Average of ratings: -
In reply to laneesh vp

Re: How to remove "Choose at least one answer." from the multiple choice questions

by S. Kumar -

Edit your moodle directory/lang/en_utf8/quiz.php file

Replace

$string['multipleanswers'] = 'Choose at least one answer.';

with

$string['multipleanswers'] = 'Select all the correct answers';

or any other text.

In reply to S. Kumar

Re: How to remove "Choose at least one answer." from the multiple choice questions

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Sorry, but that is not the correct way to edit language files. One should log in as admin, go to Administration ► Language ► Language -> editing Local string customization and edit the string from there.
Joseph
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by laneesh vp -

Thanks for the quick response. I edited the string from the admin page and its  working.

saved lot of time...

In reply to laneesh vp

by Robert Brenstein -
The only thing to keep in mind is that this change affects the whole Moodle site, I believe. This may be fine in your case, but not others.
Average of ratings:Useful (1)

by James Thomas -
I'm another one who needs to get rid of that message, but when I followed your instructions, I got this message and am not sure what to make of it. My admin priveleges are valid elsewhere at this site.

ERROR: Could not create base lang directory /var/www/vhosts/laptopenglish.com/httpdocs/moodledata/lang

In reply to laneesh vp

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

There are two ways to do this.

1- remove or re-write that prompt in your language file (see language edit, etc. in admin menus)

2- hide that prompt by adding this CSS rule at the end of one of the CSS files of your current theme:

.que.multichoice .prompt {display:none;}

please note however that this CSS rule will also hide the prompt for MCQ, single response: Choose one answer.

See attached illustration for solution #2.

Joseph

Attachment image00.jpg

by James Thomas -
Thanks for all your suggestions

As I still ge the error message when I open Edit words or phrases in Lang editting, I'd like to try your second suggestion. But I would like to know how to access the CSS file of my current theme. It is not in Themes under Site Admin, as far as I can see.

James
In reply to laneesh vp

by Pierre Pichet -
"I want to remove this sentence as it doesnt make any sense."
This sentence has been put there for all new users that are not familiar with computer and all users that need to use screen-reader software because they have some disabilities i.e.to conform to
N. 508 Standards, Section 1194.22, No When electronic forms are designed to be completed on-line, the form shall allow people using assistive technology to access the information, field elements, and functionality required for completion and submission of the form, including all directions and cues.

Pierre
P.S. the " width="15" height="15" src="http://moodle.org/pix/s/no.gif" /> are added automatically by moodle code for this reference to N.508 standards.
In reply to Pierre Pichet

by Joseph Rézeau -
Pierre,
Arent't these accessibility standards "overdoing" it (in this particular case)?
Anyway, the all-CSS solution I offer might be OK in the following scenario. A given course (or a whole moodle site) would offer a special "accessibility theme" to its students, with better color contrast, larger font, etc. and of course keeping such cues as the "Choose at least one answer" cue text mentioned in this discussion. Students with a disability would be able to select that "accessibility theme" while other students would select a standard theme without the cue...
Joseph

by Pierre Pichet -
Joseph,
Ideally we should be able to offer a special accessibility interface but this will be a large project for version 2.???
Pierre
In reply to Pierre Pichet

by Just H -
Doesn't make much sense when you have a range of questions that requires people choosing between one and five correct answers depending on the question, the amount given in the question e.g. "which 3 of the following are correct" sad
In reply to Just H

by James Thomas -
Completely agree, Harry. I'd much prefer being able to fill in a gap on the specific question's form: Choose at least ____ answer(s). And in multi-select questions, it is important to tell sts how many to select, IMHO.

The option to remove this automatic margin note and write it into the body of the question would be my current preference, if only someone could answer my questions above HOW TO!

In reply to James Thomas

by Joseph Rézeau -

James,

It seems that none of the two solutions I provided in my previous e-mail for removing or replacing the Choose at least one answer string from the Quiz interface works for you. Your problem(s) are not related to the Quiz module itself.

#1 ERROR: Could not create base lang directory in ...

This looks like a "permissions" problem. You'd better post a new question about this problem either on the General problems forum or the Languages forum.

#2 But I would like to know how to access the CSS file of my current theme.

Are you the administrator or do you have administrator rights on your own moodle site? To change the contents of a CSS file in your current theme, you need to download that theme's files on your local computer, edit the relevant CSS file with a text editor, then upload it to your moodle server. Again, if you have no idea how to do this, post a new question on the Themes forum.

All the best,

Joseph

PS.- Tim, it would be easier if that unwanted Choose at least one answer string could be displayed or hidden by using a parameter in the Question Edit screen.

In reply to Just H

by James Heather -
There's more to it than that. It also rules out the possibility that none of the answers applies!

Select all of the true statements from the list below:

Grass is blue

Blue is green

Henry VIII is alive and well

Father Christmas and the Easter Bunny are best friends

I can see the green shoots of economic recovery

I want there to be 2^5 possible answers to the question, and I don't want any of them ruled out. It should be conceivable that the correct answer is the default state of not ticking anything--otherwise some information is leaked unnecessarily.

To be told to 'Choose at least one answer' is rather unhelpful. What is wrong with 'Select all that apply'?

James
In reply to James Heather

by Joseph Rézeau -

Hi James,

There are 2 problems in your "logic".

1- In pure logic/linguistics "Select all of the true statements from the list below:" pre-supposes that at least one statement is true. I would argue that if you word your instruction that way and none of the choices is in fact correct then you are misleading your students.

2. The way the moodle quiz module works, you cannot expect the "correct solution" to a question to be the absence of any answer. If the "correct answer" were "no ticks", and the student did not tick any choice, then that response would be marked as wrong by the program. If you do want a "no answer" possibility, you should enter it as the last choice, i.e.

Grass is blue.
Blue is green.
Henry VIII is alive and well.
Father Christmas and the Easter Bunny are best friends.
I can see the green shoots of economic recovery.
None of those.

Hope that helps,

Joseph

PS.- I have no idea what you mean by "2^5 possible answers..."