Giving students one more chance at a quiz

Giving students one more chance at a quiz

by Steven A -
Number of replies: 8
I'm sure we've all received messages and emails from students saying that either their computer crashed, they accidentally closed the quiz window, their keyboard exploded, and on and on..

So what are some techniques that you guys are using to give one or a select number of students one more chance at a quiz? I'm using 1.9.2 here.

I've been going into the Results tab and deleting their attempt, which then gives them their one chance back. This isn't ideal for a number of reasons, the most important for me is that they'll know what the question is (I use essay type questions) and have time to prepare an answer before their re-attempt.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Steven A

Re: Giving students one more chance at a quiz

by J Henna -
Hello Steven,

My suggestion is that why not make the Attempts Allowed to 2 in the quiz seetings?

And you may be able to base the score to their second attempt.

I hope it will help.

Thank you and GOD bless.

J
In reply to J Henna

by Steven A -
Thanks for replying, J Henna.

Allowing 2 attempts is an idea, but I don't know if it suits my needs.

Anyone other ideas/strategies out there?

What I would really like is functionality that allows the teacher to give students another chance at the quiz from where they left off (i.e. from when their computer crashed or whatever).

I've looked up and down the forum, and it surprises me that there's not more discussion about what to do when there is a technological problem during a quiz.

In reply to Steven A

by Vicke Denniston -
Picture of Testers
I am also really surprised there is little discussion about this. I need to be able to open a quiz for a single student. We have 5 week hybrid courses and at least once in a class someone needs the quiz open late, but if they don't have a reason better than they didn't get around to it, we don't want the quiz open for them.

In reply to Steven A

by Itamar Tzadok -
I'm not sure I understand the problem. If the computer crashed, they accidentally closed the quiz window or their keyboard exploded it means that they haven't submitted the quiz in which case they can go back and continue the attempt, unless there is a very tight time limit. Is there a time limit?

Each one of my quizzes is open for one week, so all excuses such as computer crashed, accidentally closed the quiz window, keyboard exploded, and on and on, are not accepted.

smile
In reply to Itamar Tzadok

by Steven A -
Thanks for replying, Itamar.

I should have mentioned it in my first message, yes, the quizzes are timed.

In reply to Steven A

by Itamar Tzadok -
How about locking the grade and reopening the quiz (by extending the time limit)? I haven't tried that but this may allow students to continue and you to control which instances will be regraded.

smile
In reply to Itamar Tzadok

by Steven A -
Thanks for the suggestion, Itamar.

I just tested locking the grade (gradebook --> Grader report --> show lock icons, right?) and it doesn't do what I want.

Here are the steps I went through:

As a student:
-start the quiz and answer a few questions
-close the secure quiz window

As an administrator:
-lock the grade
-update the quiz with an extended time limit

As a student:
-start the quiz again and answer questions I didn't answer before.

That all works, but as a student, I can still see and (more importantly) change the answers to questions I already answered in my first attempt. Also, because the score has been locked, it will not update with new answers. However, unlocking the score immediately calculates the new score.