Moodle 1.9.2+ no emails on forum posts

Moodle 1.9.2+ no emails on forum posts

by Robert Hufsky -
Number of replies: 3
Hi,

I run moodle 1.9.2+ on Ubuntu hoardy. When setting up a forum in notice that posting to a forum does not send mail to the subscribers.

I tried the following variants:

Setting smtphost to localhost and 127.0.0.1:

no mail being sent, no log entries in the local postfix smtp.log

Setting smtphost to an empty string
no mail being sent.

On the other hand, when changing my email address, the confirmation message is sent out. This can even be watched in the postfix log on my server. So it seems that there is something wrong inside the forum post module.

As far as I can see I am not the only one with this problem. I would really appreciate if someone finds a solution to that problem.

If there is more information needes, I'll be more than happy to provide all I can.

kind regards

Robert
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Robert Hufsky

Re: Moodle 1.9.2+ no emails on forum posts

by Robert Hufsky -
Resolved.

A helpful person reminded me to check cron. I did, following the instructions in the nice article which can be found here:

http://docs.moodle.org/en/Installation_FAQ#Email_copies_are_not_being_sent_from_my_forums

DO check your cron configuration. I believed I had a valid configuration BUT during an operating system upgrade something went wrong in a very unnoticeable way.

kind regards

Robert
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by John McDonald -

Based on this advice (and others), I made a push to get this issue (somewhat) resolved.

Noting that I'm a beginner at this (it's been 2 months since I set up Moodle), I used my webhost to assist in the cron setup (which had been missing).

Then, based on other advice on this board, I deleted (hid) the default 'news' forum, and set-up a 'general' forum in it's place. Based on initial (really, first) repsonses it would appear that my posts are finally being received by students.

There are still problems with the news forum, but I'm glad that I found a workaround that will allow me to use Moodle in (one of) ways I was expecting to.

Just thought I would post this update. Hope it helps others with this situation. If anyone can find a resolution to the news forum issue, that would be great.

-John

by Chrissy Trenholme -

Hi,
I don't know if this will help but we have had the same problem, since up grading to 1.9.2 we have had no emails being generated from forums, gradebooks or anywhere else. Have spent ages looking for fixes and then looked at the default support name and support email in Admin - Server - Email section.  This account was not enabled to send and receive emails.  Once this was changed the email started working.  It might help.  Chrissy