Unable to Add Users

Unable to Add Users

by Joshua Johnson -
Number of replies: 2
I recently installed Moodle for the first time.  The setup went through and completed successfully, however I was never asked to set up a user account.

I read that I could use the Admin / Admin user and password in this case.  I tried to log in as this user, but when it took me back to the main page it said I was not logged in. 

Next I manually went to the moodle/admin/index.php page and was able to see all the admin options.  When I tried to add a user it said that Sessions do not seem to be working on this computer.

I tried testing the sessions by pointing to a link (can't remember what) and it said sessions were running.  I have also read a lot about editing the php.ini file to reflect the windows c:\temp directory, but am unaware how to do this.

Thanks to anyone who can help me get this started.

Josh
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Joshua Johnson

Re: Unable to Add Users

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
How are you installing moodle? Did you use easyphp to install apache/mysql/php on your windows server? This (should) take care of these problems for you.

Basically the php.ini file has a setting in it (can't remember, but should be easy enough to find) that states the location of the temp directory. You need to make sure that this folder exists and that it is writeable by Everyone and then restart.
In reply to Howard Miller

Re: Unable to Add Users

by Joshua Johnson -

I was installing moodle to a my web-hosting provider.  Do I need to run my own server? 

First I uploaded the moodle directory directly to my server using FTP.  Then I extracted the directory.  Made the changes to the config file.  Set up a database (MySQL) and went to the admin page where it installed the rest automatically.  I don't know anything about installing apache/mysql/php.  Is that something I need to do personally or talk to the webhosting about?

Thanks