I neep help with login issues!

I neep help with login issues!

by james skaggs -
Number of replies: 10

I have seen this question asked three times but I have never seen an answer and it is a critical question.

My moodle runs fine 3/4 of the time.  But about 1 or 2 days a week no one can log in.  When you try it kicks you back to the main screen, sometimes you may be logged on and it kicks you off not to allow you own.  It does this mainly when traffic is high.  This problem is serious as some students can only log in on certain days and moodle will not allow them on.

As far as I can tell my config.php is fine.

SOmeone anyone help me!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to james skaggs

Re: I neep help with login issues!

by Jeff Wood -

James,

I'm no expert... but have you tried to "repair" your database?

If I'm not mistaken, and option in phpADMIN is to "repair."  Worth a try.

Jeff

In reply to Jeff Wood

by Anne Nicolson -

Did this work?

We have a similar problem. Moodle won't let us in and then mysteriously it does. We don't get kicked out - we can see the main page but when we enter our passwords we get a white screen. I leave messages for the technians (who now avoid me). Nobody does anything and just as I start to jump up and down the darn thing goes.

In reply to Anne Nicolson

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
It's probably not much consolation but it's almost cetainly a system administration issue, not Moodle. There's nothing in Moodle itself that would give that sort of variable behaviour.  The people who set it up need to look into the operating system, Apache and PHP.

by Linda Jamin -
Anne and others, this is almost certainly a firewall issue.  I had the same problem after I installed ZoneAlert (Zonelabs) so now I take down the firewall when I log onto Moodle.  Try it and see... I just received confirmation of this problem with ZA from another Moodle support team.  They indicate that there may be issues with other firewalls, as well.
In reply to Linda Jamin

by Jeff Wood -

If you are using Norton Firewall

Try this and check out the video I made my students - might help.

Jeff

In reply to Jeff Wood

by Linda Jamin -
Jeff, great idea to do the video.  For everybody's information, who doesn't already know, KERIO works just fine with Moodle.  I have it on my other computer and have never had a problem. 
In reply to Linda Jamin

by Anne Nicolson -
Thanks everyone. We are working behind the school firewall on an intranet so I don't think it should affect us. Are there any other filters that could affect us? that anyone can guess from a distance?

by Michael Penney -
Have your server admins check the access and server error logs when it starts to happen. If they can't figure it out, perhaps they could give them to you to post here (or at least the error messages with site specific info. deleted).  There are almost certainly error messages being generated by the server when this happens that would probably show what the problem is (unless for some reason your admins have logging turned off?)

It sort of sounds like improperly set up server load balancing, at least something similar happened on a blackboard install I know of and that was what it turned out to be.

In any event, what is causing it should be pretty clear from the server logs, and pretty much a  mystery we could guess about for a long time without them.
In reply to Michael Penney

by Anne Nicolson -
Thank you - have just emailed the request away.

by Anne Nicolson -
The technical team have responded with a request for clarification over which logs we should be looking at. Are they moodle logs, or IIS logs or the computer access logs. Can you help me be more specific. Thanks