Selective release again?

Selective release again?

by David Wong -
Number of replies: 8
Hi folks,

Here I am stirring the pot again wondering if there are more of you who would like selective release functionality built into Moodle like it is in WebCT.

We have many teachers teaching multiple sections so that they've become accustomed to setting release dates for blocks of content called learning modules in WebCT. When the course shells are duped, the selective release dates are duped in all the sections.
Unfortunately, I've found no workaround in Moodle. Moodle's initial work on activity locking is too granular.

Selective release in WebCT also allows a teacher to release content based on a student's name, his former score on a course activity, or group membership. Now, I can create a group and add it to a grouping to restrict content to users but we also want to give teachers the capability to release blocks of content based on dates to all students.

Now, I posted this in roles as it seems that maybe this is where this post should go. If you disagree, please move it to the general developer forum or another.

Anyway, hope to hear from you.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to David Wong

Re: Selective release again?

by Ritika gupta -
Hi David

Any luck with scheduling content release on Moodle so far?
Ive been looking up the same...any help on this is welcome!
In reply to Ritika gupta

by Tiffany Morgan -
I had looked for the selective release on quizzes and as close as I have come is using the open and close dates and passwords.

Would love to have it for assignments as well though...
In reply to David Wong

by Susan Morrison -

Hello There:

I would love to see some selective release (based on selecting specific dates, and specific individual).  But even more, I'd like to see conditional release - based on learners meeting a condition - could be a grade on a previous module, could me simply completion of a scorm or other activity, etc.)

I heard rumours that this was coming to  a theatre new you in version 2?

Anyone else hear this?

Sue M.

In reply to Susan Morrison

by Art Lader -
Hi, Susan,

I think you might be referring to conditional activities in Moodle 2.0 -- http://docs.moodle.org/en/Roadmap.

Hope that helps,
Art
In reply to Art Lader

by Susan Morrison -

Well that's the million dollar question.

The documentation specifies:

• Conditional activities - Open University (Sam Marshall)
    • Allowing dependencies and forced paths through activities. That is, "You can't do this activity until that activity is completed".

1. I guess it really depends on if "conditional activities" will include completion of Scorm Module based on conditions specified.

2. What types of conditions will be able to be set?

3. Will multiple conditions be able to be set?

4. What types of Moodle components will we be able to assign conditions?

5. What behaviours will we be able to specific if/when a condition is met?

6. I'm not worried about conditional release on assessments...it's other types of resources and activities that concern me, particularly module release, even release of Moodle "Weekly Topics"...each week shows the start date of or # of days prior to week start, etc.

Sue M.

In reply to David Wong

by Art Lader -
Hi, David,

Is this the same as "conditional activities" --http://docs.moodle.org/en/Talk:Roadmap?

Thanks,
Art
In reply to Art Lader

by Ritika gupta -
Thanks all for the input.

Art," Conditional Acitvities" is perhaps what Im looking for. However, it seems to be viable only with Moodle 2.0.

Is there a possibility of integrating it with the current available Moodle versions?

Im looking for help for the following:
  • Release content based on students veiwing certain pre-requisite materials.
  • Release content based on chronological criteria.
  • Release content pages based on student quiz performance.
  • Release content based on custom designed criterias.
Thanks,
Ritika

In reply to David Wong

by Kim Flintoff -
Yes, I certainly think such offerings are important. The ability to release materials via some automated rules is a very valuable capability. I'm currently using my Moodle sites for other than teaching and learning but I can see several instances where its valuable to have date-based or other conditional release (or recall) of materials.

A simple example today - some information included on the site that is irrelevant after Monday next week.. I don't want to have to go and delete it manually.. I want to be able to set the item to automatically hide itself.

The conditional release aspects drawing on activity completion, or achievement are crucial in a blended learning environment...

Please - let's not wait to 2.0 for this functionality that even Bb offers.