Floating comma instead of floating point in Calculated questions

Floating comma instead of floating point in Calculated questions

by Slavomír Tuleja -
Number of replies: 3
Hi everybody.

I just wonder if there is a way of getting Moodle to display floating comma instead of floating point in numerical values it inserts automatically to the calculated questions.

I am from a country where we use floating comma in floating point numbers. It is confusing for my students to see floating point in such numbers, since in my country it can be easily misinterpreted as a sign for multiplication.

I have set the language settings of Moodle to Slovak, so I supposed the locale settings would apply to the number formats as well. But they don't.

Can anybody help me?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Slavomír Tuleja

Re: Floating comma instead of floating point in Calculated questions

by Pierre Pichet -
Hi Slavomir
Could you explain what are floating comma instead of floating point unless you talking about 3,1457 and 3.1457.

Pierre

P.S. which Moodle version are you using?
In reply to Pierre Pichet

by Slavomír Tuleja -
Sorry for not being clear enough.

Yes I mean the usage of "," instead of "." in floating point numbers

For example pi would be written as 3,1415926 in my country. In contrast Moodle would use 3.1415926

I am using Moodle Moodle 1.9.2 (Build: 20080711)
In reply to Slavomír Tuleja

by Pierre Pichet -

The best way is to put a note at the quiz heading or at each question to indicate the actual moodle convention.

This is difficult to implement for various reasons i.e. as the calculated answers are evaluated from mathematical functions using PHP code, I am not sure that they can be written in locale standards although the result could be shown. (i.e. 10000.34 can be 10 000,34 or 10,000.34 on different locales).

Pierre