Lesson Format

Lesson Format

by Asha Chauhan -
Number of replies: 4

I was wondering whether it would be possible to change the format of the Moodle lessons.

I am producing an English course on Moodle and my client wishes to view all the content on the screen without scrolling. It is possible to squeeze the boxes up and reduce the spaces between the boxes.

She would also like to change the text in the button that matches pairs in the matching exercise to "Please Match". Is there a way to change the text?

Also when editing lessons i find it terribl frustrating that the contents do not appear even after having burnt out the refresh button so many times! When i click on enlarge editor my whole laptop freezes and it can take a long while to edit text. Why is this?

One last query, is it possible to throught the navigation of the lesson pages without having to answer the questions all the time and just go a straight page view throughtout the lesson???

Thanks, any help on these issues would be much appreciated!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Asha Chauhan

Re: Lesson Format

by Timothy Takemoto -

Dear Asha Chauhan,
I am not sure how to squeeze the lesson module other than by hacking the code. If you change the stylesheet.php in your theme folder then you should be able to squeeze everything in the moodle interface but not just the lesson module.  

It is very easy to change any language in the Moodle GUI simply by changing the translation in the language folder of your choice. If you are using English you will be using the "langs/en" folder. In that there will be a file for the lesson module. You could then create a new langs/my_en folder and use that as the selected language if you like.

I am not sure what you mean by contents not appearing. They appear fine for me. The enlarge editor button does seem to use a lot of processor power or memory so I guess that either you should avoid using it, buy more memory for your laptop, or buy a laptop with a better processor. The editor iis a separate project.

In reply to Timothy Takemoto

by Asha Chauhan -

"should be able to squeeze everything in the moodle interface but not just the lesson module. "

Thank you very much for your reply,

Does the above mean i cannot change the lesson????

" I am not sure how to squeeze the lesson module other than by hacking the code. If you change the stylesheet.php in your theme folder "

Sorry but how do i get into changing the code and viewing the stylesheet?

In reply to Asha Chauhan

by Ray Kingdon -
Asha, here's a few possible answers big grin.

Sadly, when editing a lesson page the sizes of the boxes are fixed by constants in the code. There is no way to change them easily. I suspect the boxes are currently sized on the large side. That might change in the future.

The module currently uses the text "Please match the above pairs". If you want to change that text look for the string "pleasematchtheabovepairs" in the language file, for example lang/en/lesson.php and change the text on the right hand side. If you're not using the English language file you will need to make the change in the file lang/<your_language>/lesson.php.

The problem with editing pages and refreshing may have been cured with the latest version of the Lesson module. It was changed just a couple of days ago. If you're using IE it would be worth getting the module again from the Activity Modules page. Please let us know if that improves matters.

What would help you see the lesson as whole is the new "Tree" view as opposed the "Page" view you have at the moment. The new version which gives you both views of a lesson is looking good and should be available soon.

Hope this helps...
Ray