Slow down in server from my host or is it my Moodle?

Slow down in server from my host or is it my Moodle?

by Marc Paré -
Number of replies: 2
I am using 123ehost.com as my host and am raising a website using both PostNuke and Moodle.  My site is to provide a place to practice and eventually evaluate site members in learning French.

I am still categorizing the Moodle part of the site and have just started suffering from a slowdown in what seems to be the server side ... or is it that my site is just becoming too unwieldly?

Could someone have a quick look at the site at www.frenchasasecondlanguage.org (especially the courses section) and comment on whether or not the setup would be the cause of speed degradation?  (You can surf to the Moodle part of the site by choosing the "Tutorials" button in the Welcoming message at the top of the site.)

I am also using 123ehost.com as my host and am using the "ultraspace" package ... could you also check it to see if the package is sufficient enough to service the Moodle (there is a button on the left hand side that lets you compare their packages)?

Finally, is there some advice I should take into consideration when building a Moodle site in order to keep the speed up to its max. potential?

Many thanks for any help!

Marc
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Marc Paré

Re: Slow down in server from my host or is it my Moodle?

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
You would have to try *very* hard to build a big enough site to effect performance. In MySql terms a huge Moodle site is nothing compared to what is was designed to cope with. Look elsewhere for the bottleneck - probably a matter for your hosting company. There's nothing in the descriptions of the packages to indicate any differences at all that would effect site performance (although it doesn't mean that there isn't). I do agree, however, that your site seems painfully slow.

(Nice front page! - much better than the usual postnuke efforts smile )
In reply to Howard Miller

Re: Slow down in server from my host or is it my Moodle?

by Marc Paré -
Thanks for the note.  I have called my hosting company and they are looking into it.  Coincidentally, there was also a breakdown of some kind of  "internet hardware" in NYC today that kept my site off-line for practically 12 hours ... I don't know if this is what may have been affecting the performance of my website.

Cheers

Marc